Air Rifle for my Dad

Taileron

Apologies about the strange title but it’s precisely my question. My old man has retired and is getting cabin fever so has taken up shooting at a local club with his mate. He currently shoots a SFS HW97 .177 but it’s getting a little heavy for him and is after something lighter and easy to shoot and has been looking to go down the PCP route. My knowledge of PCP Air Rifles is quite limited, I only own springers. If anyone is in a similar situation or has any advice on particular pro’s and Cons of what he/I should be looking for it would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking at all the usual suspects ( HW100, BSA RA10, Daystate huntsman, AA S410 ) but don’t know enough to make an informed decision. 

Thanks in advance.

If he is only going to shoot targets I would suggest the S400 (single shot) otherwise the S410 will outperform him, and most other sub £1000 guns, without breaking a sweat. Others will be along shortly to recommend various other (inferior) types and use dodgy reasoning to justify their choices. Go for the supalite if weight is an issue.

Edited by bruno22rf

30 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

If he is only going to shoot targets I would suggest the S400 (single shot) otherwise the S410 will outperform him, and most other sub £1000 guns, without breaking a sweat. Others will be along shortly to recommend various other (inferior) types and use dodgy reasoning to justify their choices. Go for the supalite if weight is an issue.

Agreed ,light, accurate & easy to service

What's his budget, cheap and still a good rifle getting good reviews the Kral NP02 high shot count too.

Lightweight and can be changed into different styles the new FX Dreamline lite. This is what I'm thinking of getting next. Currently shoot a Daystate Huntsman Classic.

Thanks for all the responses. His budget is about £800 ish, he is going to hopefully take the scope and mounts off his 97 and put them into his new rifle, saving a few £. We looked at a walther Rotex RM8 yesterday which seemed to be very keenly priced, but I have zero knowledge of that. I had not even considered the AA ultralight variants, so thanks for the suggestion we will have a look at those on Monday. Daystate is literally 8 miles down the road from us so he is keen to show some loyalty to a local brand, my only worry is that a few years ago a friend of mine had a huntsman which was plagued with problems, terrible levels of accuracy which was found to be caused by wildly erratic Muzzle energy, are they any better these days?

Again, thanks for the help👍

The later ones or the early Huntsman Classic like mine are very well made. 

It's the Huntsman Regal that had problems.

You can tell the classic as the air cylinder doesn't stick out from the stock and look like a classic hunting rifle. Should pick up a very good example with scope bag dive cylinder everything he needs for £800.00 privately.

For a extra £100.00 he could buy the new FX Dreamline. Well worth a look in lightweight accurate rifle.

Link to guntrader showing the Huntsman classics for sale. Might help with idea of what you can get for the budget. https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/results/3db9-4a2d-fae4-9bef

Edited by figgy

The other question is has he tried other peoples at the range? We could all suggest a different rifle from every known make but some will feel right and some won't, your old fella might be 5"2 or 6"8 small hands or mits like a bear?

try to get hands on see what he likes and your halfway there 👍 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, target shooting the Air Arms S400 in 177

Target shooting there are not many, feinwerkbau Steyr anchutz  like you see in the Olympics. All the rest are sporting hunting guns used for target shooting at local clubs ft hft etc. The A400 / 410 are sporting guns. 

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Anybody else been looking at free ads then today 😁 looking at second hand rifles is dangerous, so many out there and such varrying prices and kit you get 😭😭 

Yes been browsing on and off most of the day, waiting for my hw100 to sell before I let myself loose :lol:

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

It's nuts really the same rifle say AA S200 can be had for between £300 and £700 depending on private sale, gun shop and kit you get .

Very true, I spent quite a bit of time looking at other ads to work out a figure to start with mine.