What eats conkers

GingerCat

So yesterday there were many hundreds of conkers strewn over my lawn down by the stream. Shopping great big ones I intended to pick up today with my daughter. 

Today there is not one Conker left. Just the empty husks they fell from the tree in. 

I can rule out my 3 year old as she was making cookies and then eating them. 

I can't see any prints in the few patches of bare soil and the garden is otherwise inaccessible to people. 

What eats them? 

You must have been robbed by Kids.

Great big Conkers are like having a Ferrari when your 10 years old  !

Doubt Squirrels would have taken the lot without leaving burial marks.

Anyway Squirrels are not nocturnal?

Pigs or Boar ?

Edited by mickyh

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Your opening phrase suggests that for anything small an infestation would be required and which you'd have probably noticed so in order to clear that lot away a smaller number of something bigger would have been necessary. If you get another "harvest", a trail cam might give the answer.

That's the thing, I've not noticed any squirrels apart from in the summer and they had an unfortunate end, the bait stations are for routine maintenance near the chicken run. They have never been moved before, it could have been wind but doubtful. It's looking like sqigs if the mighty jdog says they eat them. 

16 hours ago, GingerCat said:

So yesterday there were many hundreds of conkers strewn over my lawn down by the stream. Shopping great big ones I intended to pick up today with my daughter. 

Today there is not one Conker left. Just the empty husks they fell from the tree in. 

I can't see any prints in the few patches of bare soil and the garden is otherwise inaccessible to people. 

What eats them? 

Toxic to cattle?

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

The reason they are called horse chestnuts is because they used to gather them up to bulk up the winter horse feed

they used to make coffee from them in the 2nd world war....and in the first world war they used to ferment acetone from them for munitions....

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

they used to make coffee from them in the 2nd world war....and in the first world war they used to ferment acetone from them for munitions....

Also in the first world war Baldrick used to use dandruff to make the coffee frothy :lol:

19 hours ago, GingerCat said:

What eats them? 

Deer.