1st day picking up

Dougy

We were after a buddie for buster our black lab,  we'd been looking at cockers locally but thinking about it we were not to keen on the 12 months of basic training. Kind of cheating a bit we decided on looking for something around 12-18 months old partly trained, basics would be enough. 

Anyway the breeder of our black buster, asked if we would be interested in his litter brother, well we could at least have a look. Harley had been trained by his previous owner for field trials, so our 1st impressions we were rather amazed at the lack of personality, a crushed dog, nothing like his brother. Good or bad, its a question some my ask, his heel work, well I can only say he was trying to get inside my Aigle welly ! At the cost of personality and character I know what I'd rather have. 

After just a week he's playing, getting a bit cheeky and getting some meat on his ribs, you need fuel in a working dog. And something on them to keep the cold off. 

The pair of them worked brill today, both picking up some good runners, Buster his 1st ever, and all straight back. 

Well chuffed. 

20191012_100721-600x1067.jpg

20191012_135351-600x1067.jpg

29 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Nice colours, you will be able to tell them apart :D lol 

I'm colour blind, can't tell them apart lol call them both buster, and shortly after Harley. 

I cant understand what some field trial trainers expect from their dogs. Saw some bloke at one yawping at his dog waving both arms in the air while shouting BACK ! BACK ! BACK! BACK! In a high pitched squeal. There he was dress up to the nines in all the gear and absolutely not a Scooby.

Apparently it's not the done think to laugh out loud, 🤣🤣

Two super looking dogs Dougy, your a lucky guy.  Have fun between you, that is what it is all about.  Saw a chap picking up last week and he had three black labs and a brown spaniel.

At the end of the drive he let them free and I just watched in amazement.  At the just one short word from him all three stopped dead and looked he then just pointed and all three spread out and worked the area indicated and this was at in excess of 100yrds. No shouting and yelling, one picked a bird and returned without a recall of any kind. Impresive.  The little spaniel just did it's own thing but never went out of the labs work area.  A team.

Edited by Walker570

7 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Two super looking dogs Dougy, your a lucky guy.  Have fun between you, that is what it is all about.  Saw a chap picking up last week and he had three black labs and a brown spaniel.

At the end of the drive he let them free and I just watched in amazement.  At the just one short word from him all three stopped dead and looked he then just pointed and all three spread out and worked the area indicated and this was at in excess of 100yrds. No shouting and yelling, one picked a bird and returned without a recall of any kind. Impresive.  The little spaniel just did it's own thing but never went out of the labs work area.  A team.

Thanks all, we are very lucky to them both and to have the breeder/trainer within just 15 minutes away. 

They won't have any dog's at Catton, They used to be of a certain standard, and from what you say they still do. 

I see you shot at Catton at the weekend, its a brilliant shoot, they used to have some very high end guns there years go. It would not be unusual for HRH to turn up now and again, the old keepers wife used to send a message to a few normally "We have someone important coming next shoot" 

Plus the prince's from Dubai and the like. They've had some money folk shoot there. 

The beaters had to behave themselves too.