no birds about.

mossy835

Im on family duties today as ive been working too much, so not had a look about in a fortnight. Might grab the gun and have a mooch about later if im allowed. 

But ive seen big numbers (for around here) on the maize getting cut over the last week, bit annoyed as i asked to shoot and was declined, over the next couple of days hes had all manner of bird scarer's out, a new one to me - 50ft poles with kites on. 

Edited by strimmer_13

Have seen lots of pigeons this last week, all in the woods and hedgerows, walking one hedgerow/field with lots of oaks there must have been 20/30 birds in and around each oak, putting the binoculars across the woods I could see plenty of bird movement, mainly around oaks, they are defiantly on the acorns around here.

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Im on family duties today as ive been working too much, so not had a look about in a fortnight. Might grab the gun and have a mooch about later if im allowed. 

But ive seen big numbers (for around here) on the maize getting cut over the last week, bit annoyed as i asked to shoot and was declined, over the next couple of days hes had all manner of bird scarer's out, a new one to me - 50ft poles with kites on. 

They`ve been using those kites on poles around here for quite a few years now, but the pigeons very quickly get used to them and can be seen feeding within feet of the pole.

This time last week there were none in the usual places on the Wolds near me. During the week there was an influx of immigrants and now there are a few separate flocks one numbering several hundred.

Some were shot on a flight line yesterday, most contained beech mast, some wheat gleanings.

45 minutes ago, JDog said:

This time last week there were none in the usual places on the Wolds near me. During the week there was an influx of immigrants and now there are a few separate flocks one numbering several hundred.

Some were shot on a flight line yesterday, most contained beech mast, some wheat gleanings.

I meant to let you know that a few of the ones we got had beech mast and wheat in the crop.

Travelling on the A140 today I saw a quite a few fields of drilling just South of Diss with many pigeons feeding, although I saw much pigeon activity in and around the oak trees en route which indicated a good acorn harvest in this area.

Also, having booked into a lovely pub in Tivetshall St.Mary in Nelson's county this afternoon, there is a line of oaks across the road with much pigeon activity which kept my attention just watching them obviously making the most of the acorns. 

OB

16 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Travelling on the A140 today I saw a quite a few fields of drilling just South of Diss with many pigeons feeding, although I saw much pigeon activity in and around the oak trees en route which indicated a good acorn harvest in this area.

Also, having booked into a lovely pub in Tivetshall St.Mary in Nelson's county this afternoon, there is a line of oaks across the road with much pigeon activity which kept my attention just watching them obviously making the most of the acorns. 

OB

A lot of those birds you saw South of Diss have turned up in last 2 weeks OB. Have been very few about till recently. They lean birds in very spooky flocks not interested in decoying that split up and don't come back as i found out again Saturday. There were 350+  when i set up on a promising field. I only managed 2 a jackdaw and a squirrel in the 2hrs i sat it out. Packed up and shot  a  hedge line between there and other drilling's and block of stubble's for another 6 before they just left the area. Walked the hedges for another 3 squirrels and 2 rabbits. Despite what the shooting press been reporting saw wild English partridges on 3 farms doing well still. Despite  loads of dumped foxes harassing wildlife locally. Also saw flock a of 20+ lapwing 2 little egrets and 4 late swallows heading east. Mixed flocks of hundreds of finches buntings larks and pippets on the stubble's. . . . Were you in the Ram?    NB

• 2 weeks later...

we have a few biggish flocks of several hundred on our volunteer beans, now its been drilled and the green/beans are on the surface they have been getting on it. as usual with cold weather pigeon shooting. one bang and they lift with just the odd few coming round. the rest just head of into the horizon.  this farm is sudbury suffolk. 

Got a field full of wheat drilling seeds everywhere on top went out Sunday 100-200 feeding on it early morning 1 shot hushpower 410 all gone hardly any come back ended with 8 Woody's and a rook, 

Been watching this morning and seeing hundreds and hundreds of migrating pigeons heading south for the last couple of hours pretty high up but dropping 5 -10 fields away from ours into a big wood where they roost every winter in the thousands, so hopefully they join the rest of them and find our field soon, 

Edited by Shotguneddy
Spelling mistake

23 hours ago, martinj said:

I saw literally thousands on Monday in Hampshire, three of us ended up with 190. T'was a good day for me, I hardly had time to pick up between 12 and 2:00pm. They were on old barley stubble.

I must have missed your report.