IMG_1057.jpg.09565ccd3c56f70fd0cdf87d05204075.jpgIMHO Springer - just rehomed number 2 and none of this "let the dogs meet in a open space, make sure the new Dog is on a lead, take away your existing Dogs toys" etc etc - just let em meet in the kitchen and 2 hours later they will both be fast asleep on the Sofa. Virtually every day I am reminded just how much more intelligent the Springer is compared to most Dogs (tin hat on), they also bond really easily with their owner. If you get a puppy, sit it on your lap and stroke it till it falls asleep as soon as you get it home, then take it to somewhere unfamiliar and walk away - it will follow you - once it does so, it will continue to do the same all it's life. A good Springer will also practically train itself - never needs more than a harsh tone to correct any unwanted behaviour - anymore can break their spirit and ruin the dog. Biased opinion - too dammed right, I wouldn't be without mine for the world.

Edited by bruno22rf

Cocker spaniel for me. To be fair all can be the best dog for you. 

Springers tend to be bigger than cockers, sprockers can be either or mid sized between the two.

My Cocker is larger than the norm and like small Springer. 

Seen all worked in the field over the years and I just liked the cockers for being cheeky and humorous, Springer spaniels can be a bit more work focussed.

Let's face it Stu, we can argue till the cows come home about Airguns but when it comes to Dogs - we know we both own the best. Mind you - there is a lot of truth in what figgy says- the Springer can become obsessed but it really is horses for courses - not a Cocker fan as the ones I meet tend to be more manic than a Springer.

Edited by bruno22rf

Springer is much easier, you also tend to get more of a range of ability. 

Cockers are very funny (odd funny) things. One minute hunting lovely and the next won’t do it. 

For novices springers are far more straight forward. 

Most people will just tell you what they have themselves, and some people will tell you it’s easy or certain breeds are easier... I would (and I have) asked people who are consistently in the championships every year, they all like springers, only some like cockers. 

Lots of them don’t like cockers at all and say far too much hard work, too quirky and stick to springers and much easier to have success. 

You come to some cover and say to your dog "get in" if the dog could reply it would be;

Springer- Ok and straight in

Cocker- I can assure you there is nothing in there for either of us, refuses to go in and just looks at you.

Sprocker-  I can assure you there is nothing in there for either of us but I will do it just to please you, and dives in.

From my experience this about sums it up.

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

You come to some cover and say to your dog "get in" if the dog could reply it would be;

Springer- Ok and straight in

Cocker- I can assure you there is nothing in there for either of us, refuses to go in and just looks at you.

Sprocker-  I can assure you there is nothing in there for either of us but I will do it just to please you, and dives in.

From my experience this about sums it up.

🤣🤣 (and have a cocker!)

Edited by Docleo

17 hours ago, wj939 said:

You ask a Labrador 

you tell a springer

you negotiate with a cocker 

That's so true, they're like little people. 

Yellow bear your comments are so true. I have watched a birds fly and run into cover, asked my Cocker to go in, he pokes his head in then looks at me. Go on get in, nope nothing there he looks at me. At this point I'm getting mad and send him in so he runs straight out up the hedge line and flushed it thirty yards up. Me made to look like a fool and lesson learnt. Dog happy as larry to make me look an idiot.

Sat him up on a peg with me, friend just round a hedged knuckle in river at our backs out of sight. Birds comes out passed me I miss mate drops it, my dog looks at me so I send him out, brings bird back to me. Same again the way birds are flushing out of the wood this day. I'm not hitting them my mate is. One drops in water and sent my dog after it. Dog does not come back. I'm shouting him and mates dropping birds. He shouts your dog's here retrieving my birds and sitting at my peg quite happy. As I walk round the knuckle he looks at me like he's a good lad. Did I get the Micky taken that day not just off my dog. That's a Cocker for you. 

Edited by figgy