Practical waterproof trousers?

Shadowchaser

I'm on the lookout for some practical waterproof trousers. 

Essentially I'd like something akin to a pair of combats but to be fully waterproof. I don't like wearing over trousers (it's like wearing a bin liner) and I'd rather the trousers didn't make that swoosh sound when walking. 

Any recommendations would be welcome. 

Depends what you intend to wear them for. If it is brashing through brambles etc. then forget it, but I can recommend a pair of Rohan 'Dry Requisite'  waterproof trousers with leg pockets as well as the side and 2 rear pockets. I wore them whilst fishing on one of the wildest days so far this year and they were superb, absolutely waterproof. The same could NOT be said for the Clodhoppers jacket that I was also wearing, that leaked at the shoulders. You really need to look at the Rohan website, I have 2 pairs of these trousers, both bought in their 'Souk'  (Sale offers UK, I think) I paid £60 per pair. I have tried countless other so called waterproof trousers, NONE of them worked. I use the Rohan trousers for clay birding, if rain is forecast. They can be a touch 'clammy' worn indoors, but once outside they are fine. Chuck them in the washing machine and you can wear them again after a couple of hours drying time. Several of my shooting pals now have them too.

Edited by Westley

Westley,  I don't intend to do much bramble brashing in them and will check these out. Why wouldn't they be any good for that may I ask? 

Edit: I've just seen them on the website. They look very good and ideal for clay bashing in the rain. As you say not the style for rough shooting. 

Edited by Shadowchaser

Ive had good results from using some cheapo combats and either , heavily nik waxing them , or the cheap aerosols from Aldi  (use a couple of cans)

I just cant abide the noise that the proper water proof jobbies make, but often wear them underneath the water proofed ones for added warmth and protection.

2 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Decathlons clothes are good priced right last well & if they do rip tare snag or break there a fraction of the price of some of the major brands so cheap enough to replace.

This; my normal 'rough' troose are Decathlon jobbies at £15 a pair.  So far pretty good, and appear to have withstood everything I can throw at them.  I used to favour Flecktarn trousers, but getting good pairs getting harder as apparently the Bundeswehr have stopped selling their surplus.

I've bought their waterproof versions, which I've yet to test.  They're too noisy for airgun stalking but will be fine for beating/picking up/standing on peg.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Thats interesting..I wonder why that would be?

Please take with a large pinch of salt.  This was mentioned to me by the chap behind the counter at Marcuss Outdoors in Bristol (does a good trade mil surplus gear), citing concerns over terrorism. I.e. they were concerned that a wrong'un would be able to dress up a soldier; so rather than selling off the surplus it was being burnt.

The selection at the time was certainly getting worse, and I struggled to select a decent pair of flecktarn trousers, hence why I switched to (new) from Decathlon for about the same money.  It's also good to not be covered head to toe in ex-mil camo, should you encounter someone whilst out on your permission.