Rifle cleaning regimen

utectok

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Cleaned my .308 every time I’ve used it for 30 years, even if only fired one shot. Still cloverleafs. Mate never cleaned his .275 and was scrap after about 25 years. 
Please yourself.

What exactly does cleaning mean for you product and procedures?

Thanks Will

Once every few months I pick a safe.  Then I fill transmission cleaning station.     ( like a dish washer for car transmission gears) full of kroil oil.   I wash the bolts, swab the barrels,  and wipe the wood down to remove as much oil as possible.  I then lay them out and inspect for rust,  check broken pieces and I will fire a few rounds into a bucket rubber mulch.  Then I check numbers against my spread sheets and log anything thing missing.   Then I will pack them all back in the safe and put a red drinking cup on the top of the safe so I remember witch safe was the last one to get attention.   It’s a labor of love.  

1 minute ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Once every few months I pick a safe.  Then I fill transmission cleaning station.     ( like a dish washer for car transmission gears) full of kroil oil.   I wash the bolts, swab the barrels,  and wipe the wood down to remove as much oil as possible.  I then lay them out and inspect for rust,  check broken pieces and I will fire a few rounds into a bucket rubber mulch.  Then I check numbers against my spread sheets and log anything thing missing.   Then I will pack them all back in the safe and put a red drinking cup on the top of the safe so I remember witch safe was the last one to get attention.   It’s a labor of love.  

Youve got that many guns in each safe , I bet you need to pick a new safe as soon as youve finished the last :lol:

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Youve got that many guns in each safe , I bet you need to pick a new safe as soon as youve finished the last 

😂 it is a all day event.  It black plastic gun safe is easy.  I dip them and wipe them down.  The wood collection  safe takes twice as long.  I take special care of the wood stocks.  Then I have a safe of some really nice collectibles.  These guns generally don’t get shot but they are still oiled once a year for rust prevention.  Then I have safes over at my parents house that are for a **** I don’t really care about but I wipe them down anyway.  Black plastic was the last safe I oiled, so the junk safe is next.  PR2Fb0Y.jpg

22 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

😂 it is a all day event.  It black plastic gun safe is easy.  I dip them and wipe them down.  The wood collection  safe takes twice as long.  I take special care of the wood stocks.  Then I have a safe of some really nice collectibles.  These guns generally don’t get shot but they are still oiled once a year for rust prevention.  Then I have safes over at my parents house that are for a **** I don’t really care about but I wipe them down anyway.  Black plastic was the last safe I oiled, so the junk safe is next.  PR2Fb0Y.jpg

How often do you fire all them? Believe me I'm a firm beliver in having one for every occasion but that's alot of occasions 🤣

18 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

How often do you fire all them? Believe me I'm a firm beliver in having one for every occasion but that's alot of occasions

15 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Honestly, I have maybe 20 I shoot frequently.

By frequently he means about every weekend , about 2,000 rounds amongst them :lol:

15 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Is that to make sure its dead ?

A worthy rule none the less :good:

I suppose that way you can get more in the bin too! 

50 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Honestly, I have maybe 20 I shoot frequently.  The rest get function resented once a year. 

I'm a 6 and even when I was shooting I struggled to use them all 😂 

Used to craze my missus going to the clay ground carrying 3 between us then going back to the car to swap. 

If anyone can confirm the arbitrary, correct level of fouling I'll keep patching mine through each time after use. Cold, clean bore is never more than 1" different to hot, dirty bore. What's the issue with keeping things clean, especially in a country that is frequently damp, cold and requires that a gun safe, ideally, is fixed to an exterior wall? Damp and carbon are the enemies to most metallic surfaces, creating a perfect environment for pitting/ damage.

Edited by mick miller

Your instructor means for accuracy, the barrel will lead up and get to a level where it won't get any worse. When zeroed it will stay zeroed without cleaning. If you clean the barrel frequently you must keep it clean to keep zero.as it fouls with lead your accuracy will go.

You can still push a oiled patch through now and again if got wet and not remove the lead.

8 hours ago, utectok said:

What exactly does cleaning mean for you product and procedures?

Thanks Will

For me, cleaning a rifle after every use means removing anything, externally and internally, which may harbour damp and cause rust. If the rifle is in frequent use, say weekly, then it gets rodded with a dry patch only. Maybe every fourth outing I will follow the patch with a phosphor bronze brush then patch again. If I expect not to use the rifle for over a month or so then I finish with an oiled mop. This I dry out before the next use. Maybe once a year ( or two) I deep clean the bore using foam bore cleaner. Remember this is a stalking rifle, so one outing generally means one shot, four would be a heavy day. It has never been on a range in it’s life except for skills tests. Obviously, the outside gets wiped clean/dry and then wiped with an oily rag. Bolt is cleaned and the locking lugs greased.

I take much better care of my shotguns.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Your instructor means for accuracy, the barrel will lead up and get to a level where it won't get any worse. When zeroed it will stay zeroed without cleaning. If you clean the barrel frequently you must keep it clean to keep zero.as it fouls with lead your accuracy will go.

You can still push a oiled patch through now and again if got wet and not remove the lead.

Thanks that’s helpful 

1 hour ago, London Best said:

For me, cleaning a rifle after every use means removing anything, externally and internally, which may harbour damp and cause rust. If the rifle is in frequent use, say weekly, then it gets rodded with a dry patch only. Maybe every fourth outing I will follow the patch with a phosphor bronze brush then patch again. If I expect not to use the rifle for over a month or so then I finish with an oiled mop. This I dry out before the next use. Maybe once a year ( or two) I deep clean the bore using foam bore cleaner. Remember this is a stalking rifle, so one outing generally means one shot, four would be a heavy day. It has never been on a range in it’s life except for skills tests. Obviously, the outside gets wiped clean/dry and then wiped with an oily rag. Bolt is cleaned and the locking lugs greased.

I take much better care of my shotguns.

Cheers 

will

On 14/10/2019 at 08:09, London Best said:

Cleaned my .308 every time I’ve used it for 30 years, even if only fired one shot. Still cloverleafs. Mate never cleaned his .275 and was scrap after about 25 years. 
Please yourself.

He ONLY got 25 years out of it? ... god he should ask for his money back ... :P