Opening up a choke

TRINITY

you can go the cheap route or the expensive route

• cheap route.......take it into yer average gunsmith and ask him to ream it out to so and so...........£30-50 quid/barrell..you end up with something adequate
  • expensive route...(like wot i did)....take it to a gunmaker...he will ask you for a box of the cartridges you use and ask you what you are trying to acheive on the pattern...he will then ream it out a bit and try it...ream a bit more and try it ream and polish and then try it until it is near as perfect pattern......that cost me £300 for 2 barrells....but it was exactly what was needed

Buy a multi-choke gun...

On 14/10/2019 at 18:34, ditchman said:

• cheap route.......take it into yer average gunsmith and ask him to ream it out to so and so...........£30-50 quid/barrell..you end up with something adequate
  • expensive route...(like wot i did)....take it to a gunmaker...he will ask you for a box of the cartridges you use and ask you what you are trying to acheive on the pattern...he will then ream it out a bit and try it...ream a bit more and try it ream and polish and then try it until it is near as perfect pattern......that cost me £300 for 2 barrells....but it was exactly what was needed

Are you now a top class shot? 

46 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Buy a multi-choke gun...

Are you now a top class shot? 

not anymore........i sold the sidexside that i had someone work on..............then out of regret...bought another sxs the same model...but funds were short so i had my local smith..ream the chokes out to the "size" of the gun that i sold..............

it worked okay...but it never shot as good as the one i sold............

On 14/10/2019 at 18:34, ditchman said:

Went the cheap route once. Never again. Had one AYA 25 SL virtually ruined. By that I mean for me. I had the damage sorted out which took a load more choke out but at least this time it was done properly and I sold it

Had the replacement gun let out via the expensive route and got what I was after. It didn't make me a better shot but it improved my performance no end as the quality of the patterns reduced the number of wouded birds considerably.

40 Odd years a go a fellow apprentice decided to make his SBS into improved and quarter from half and full,and i mind saying to him how will you ensure the adjustable reamer will start ans stay true concentric with the barre,but he was an engineer(nearly),took out 15 thou on first barrel and 30 thou  on the second hand polished, it and it did look good,when patterned it threw the centre of the pattern 2 foot high on the first barrel and low and to the right on the second,he was lucky one of the machine shop tool makers managed to make a guide rodwith rollers and bored it true cylinder in both barrels,and it shot ok in fact a great gun for flighting duck on inland ponds.Moral of story  be very careful of adjustable reamers unless very competent in their use.

5 hours ago, Wingman said:

Will it really make that much of a difference?

I cant even remember what some of my fixed choked guns are and I can hit stuff with most of them, I would just learn to shoot the gun and get on with it!

This always makes me chuckle in disbelief whenever I read this or similar sentiments. It's kind of like saying, "I don't know how many CCs my car engine is". Paradoxically perhaps,  because if it were to be acceptable to change, "can't even remember" to 'don't know', then currently this is increasingly becoming true.

2 minutes ago, dipper said:

I have a s/s bored 1/2  with the old Hull high pheasant 1 1/16 will shoot 73% felt wad .Eley o/t trap will also go full. You need to try different loads .Slower the better.

nothing wrong with slow.............people get too tied up in velocity...slow is smooth...smooth = nice pattern

On 16/10/2019 at 19:52, 222mark said:

Buy an adjustable reamer and take a bit out at a time yourself until you get the required pattern. that's the cheapest option.

No dont do this .This is a good way of damaging the barrel and costing you more to have it put right . 

Adjustable reamers are OK to use IF they are driven on a long piloted shaft from the breech NOT from the muzzle .

If the bore are chrome ,this needs to be honed out first with diamond stones ,or risk that  the reamer will not cut and even if it does you run the risk of it boring off center as it may well and frequently does as I have seen /had many DIY jobs to put right ]

If you do attempt this them buy quality reamers and grind a leading edge to enter the choke centrally .

Best bite the bullet and take it to someone who knows what they are doing .

Before doing anything ask yourself this . Do I realy need it done ???