Opening up a choke

TRINITY

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what are the choke sizes in you 3800 ?

According to barrel markings three quarter and full. I can live with the full but use the gun for DTL . I reckon the Clay's are no more than 35 yards then something more open between quarter and half should be more effective. Cartridges are eley superb no 8.

38 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

According to barrel markings three quarter and full. I can live with the full but use the gun for DTL . I reckon the Clay's are no more than 35 yards then something more open between quarter and half should be more effective. Cartridges are eley superb no 8.

The nominal barrel markings could well be totally irrelevant. Have you actually patterned the gun/cartridge combination properly? Assuming for a moment standard boring sizes, you could quite easlly have 15 points taken out to achieve your 1/4 to 1/2 only to find that when done you 're not even making  IC.

37 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

hello, i use to shoot a lot of DTL back many years, 1/4 choke would be more effective that would give a good pattern with 8s on 30 to 35 yards, i did have a go last year on DTL with a fixed 1/4 1/2 but just not on second barrel using 7.5s, or it was my poor shooting !!!!, good luck with getting it done on your 3800. cheers

Correct I have not patterned the gun as such. However I have other guns with multi chokes and can appreciate that the gun is tight.

When I am on them ,it obliterates them. However 1 clay is a large margin in DTL, 2 Clay's are massive.

I am just considering what someone once told me. 100 edges and Nick's are much better than 99 balls of dust.