Pigeon carts

5 hours ago, old'un said:

I have used Game bore velocity 30g 6, they kill ok, the last couple of years I have been using Lyalvale 12G English Sporter 28g 7.5, very good cartridge and surprising how well they kill, even on the blacks.

Yh I was using the 7.5 Sporters too and yes they are very good just not in my most recent gun, they just don’t seem to kill like they did in my previous, so I am upping the shot size and load to see if any different 

10 hours ago, teal27 said:

Yh I was using the 7.5 Sporters too and yes they are very good just not in my most recent gun, they just don’t seem to kill like they did in my previous, so I am upping the shot size and load to see if any different 

That seems a bit odd, if you are using the same amount of choke in your new gun then the only thing is point of aim in your new gun, having said that I do realise there will be differences from gun to gun with the same amount of choke fitted (pattern), also being smaller shot you are relying on multiple strikes which you should get if you are putting the target in the middle of the pattern as there are more pellets, 7.5=350 pellets, 6=270 pellets.

If you still have your old gun it might pay to fire a few cartridges at a piece of paper and see what the pattern is like between the two guns, just for reference the gun I have been putting these cartridges through has half and full choke.

10 hours ago, teal27 said:

hello, what are the shotguns ? and choke ?

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

That seems a bit odd, if you are using the same amount of choke in your new gun then the only thing is point of aim in your new gun, having said that I do realise there will be differences from gun to gun with the same amount of choke fitted (pattern), also being smaller shot you are relying on multiple strikes which you should get if you are putting the target in the middle of the pattern as there are more pellets, 7.5=350 pellets, 6=270 pellets.

If you still have your old gun it might pay to fire a few cartridges at a piece of paper and see what the pattern is like between the two guns, just for reference the gun I have been putting these cartridges through has half and full choke.

My old gun has half and full, that could be the best choke for those I would of thought then

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, what are the shotguns ? and choke ?

My old gun was a laurona, 1/2 and full fixed.

my newest is a Lanber sporter, multi, I have been using 1/4 and 1/2 

As above, pattern both guns with same cartridges and compare 30 inch patterns.

In theory, any of those chokes and 7.5 28g sporters should drop every pigeon within 40 yards if you are on target and the pattern test should confirm this.

If your kills are not as good, you may only be catching pigeon with fringe of the pattern suggesting you are slightly off with gun fit rather than anything to do with chokes.

Edited by Stonepark

1 hour ago, teal27 said:

Will pattern both guns at weekend and see how they are,

thanks for the reply’s guys.

hello, have you tried any 7.5s cartridges, i live near JCs and only bought bin ends but they changed the web site and put sale price now, cartridges are not cheap now that is why a lot of pigeon shooters use 7.5, i have a multi choke and last time used 3/4/ full over laid barley to 40 yards

2 hours ago, Stonepark said:

As above, pattern both guns with same cartridges and compare 30 inch patterns.

In theory, any of those chokes and 7.5 28g sporters should drop every pigeon within 40 yards if you are on target and the pattern test should confirm this.

If your kills are not as good, you may only be catching pigeon with fringe of the pattern suggesting you are slightly off with gun fit rather than anything to do with chokes.

^^^ This.

The makers have made sure that increasingly many shooters have no other choice. Unless you bulk up and tighten up - load and choke -  which can be self defeating, 7&1/2s it is. Unless you're really going for long range with larger shot and loads which I'd rather not think about as it hurts, then as ever 7s remain the best all round option - well they would if you could get any. Hopefully, the above will have sorted you out, but if not or you'd like to try a little longer range on occasion or can afford them as the norm, try some Gamebore SuperGame Hi Bird - 7s only in 28g. While you're looking at Just Cartridges for the price, just scan down the Gamebore 12 bore game cartridge offerings and count up how many 7s there are listed. The answer makes my point

Gamebore Supergame Hi Bird  No 7 are a top pigeon shell . They are loaded in a 65mm case and really nice in the older english guns. So i'm told those with S/A's with three and a half inch chambers, a firearms licence can load four or more. For a long while i haven't had any reason to move away from Lyalvale Express Pigeon Power.

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/363252-lyalvale-express-pigeon-power/

For some time I used clear pigeon in the black cases, moved to pigeon power and have recently tried the new clear pigeon. The new ones in the clear case really impressed me. Good clean kills at all ranges I could hit them and a few I shouldn't have tried and could be classed as "speculative". 

I will be buying some more for sure.