Tech experts

FOXHUNTER1

Depends. Sometimes you will find them in the recycle bin (only when the card/usb/storage device) is still connected to the computer. If youve formated the card (or whatever the storage device was) you'll have to download software to recover them. It would be easier to watch a 5 min youtube vid then explain on here. 

For notes, ive done what you have done and recovered files before, even found some naughty ones i had to delete of past gfs 😂👍 From memory, it took overnight for it to work, and recovered about 75%. It was a free program, but i have no idea of the name as ive changed laptops about 3 times since. Its easy enough to do

There must have been a sequence of events. Things don't just get deleted without some interaction with the user.

If Strimmer is right and the card has been formatted then search for "undelete" or "unformat" utilities or just search on "how to unformat a disk drive" but again, things don't just get formatted without user confirmation.

Have you searched the hard drive for *.jpg files? Does the laptop have a slot for the camera's SD card?

Sometimes on first plug in a card will ask to be formatted. If this prompt has come up and you have okay'd it then you may have wiped the card unknowingly. There will be softwares to recover the files because files are never truely deleted, just hidden from sight. You may have to get some free opensource software on a Google search to attempt to recover the images. 

Try following these steps:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-recover-deleted-photos-from-a-memory-card/

I've used Recuva before on a USB stick and it found at least 80% of missing photos. It actually found a few more when I ran it 2 or 3 times.

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

As others have said - it's rare for the card to just be wiped like that. Have you tried the card in another camera/laptop/card reader? 

*I take no responsibility for 3rd party downloads