Top quality carp

nobbyathome

6 hours ago, sam triple said:

fish of a life time over here ,no wander hes smiling  good catch ,he needs to get over to France now and try for some of the monsters there

steve goes every year to france and has had some whoppers also the ebro in spain for catfish  but its the english fish he really loves catching  i am well pleased for him 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Fantastic fish, I well remember the record standing for years at 44lb. Walker i think.. the fish ended up in London zoo

i remember that one as well it was   walker at redmire pool and i am sure  i saw  it at london zoo when i was a child  i think the record carp is nearly 70 lb now shows how things have changed   but its not surprising when you think how much food anglers are putting in lakes nowdays  my steve has always wanted to fish redmire just to take in all its history ( he grew up loving bob james and chris yates ) i can only dream of catching a fish like this one

Edited by nobbyathome
the swear filter came in i didnt swear

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

Fantastic fish, I well remember the record standing for years at 44lb. Walker i think.. the fish ended up in London zoo

Yes Richard Walker who caught the 44lb "Clarissa" at Redmire pool. The record stood from the early 1950s to 1980.

Eventually broken by Chris Yates with a near 52lb fish from the same venue.

16 hours ago, islandgun said:

Clarissa (or Ravioli). Caught from 'Redmire' Pool, near Ross on Wye in Herefordshire in 1952, by the late great Richard (****) Walker.

The name Redmire was a code name given to the pool, due to the red sandstone soil in the area, the pool's real name in Bernithan Court Pool. Stocked with Galician strain carp of Polish stock, sourced from the Government fish farm in Holland. This strain went on to be know as 'Leney's', as they were sourced and stocked by Donald Leney, owner of Surrey Trout Farms., and essentially spawned the, now world wide industry of carp angling.

11 hours ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Yes Richard Walker who caught the 44lb "Clarissa" at Redmire pool. The record stood from the early 1950s to 1980.

Eventually broken by Chris Yates with a near 52lb fish from the same venue.

The 'Bishop', formerly known as the '38', but was very spawn bound. Died later that year iirc. One of the original stock fish of 1936 (?).

15 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

i remember that one as well it was   walker at redmire pool and i am sure  i saw  it at london zoo when i was a child  i think the record carp is nearly 70 lb now shows how things have changed   but its not surprising when you think how much food anglers are putting in lakes nowdays  my steve has always wanted to fish redmire just to take in all its history ( he grew up loving bob james and chris yates ) i can only dream of catching a fish like this one

More to do with the strains than food. The advent of using the German dinkkelsbuehl (otherwise known as Simmo's) crossed with Leney/Sutton strains has produced Classic looking scaly carp with excellent growth and high weight gains.