Monte Carlo stock for English Sporting

Demonic69

Hi All

I'm new to clays, but not to shooting. Was shooting PSG with FAC semis for a few years and doing pretty well. I'm currently shooting a Lanber Deluxe Sporting and doing reasonably poorly. I prefer a gun that shoots high and have been pretty tempted by a Miroku 800 (as far as I can tell), with Teague chokes and a Monte Carlo stock.

Would a Monte Carlo stock affect sporting too much? I know they're aimed, nowadays, at trap shooters, but I'd like a gun I can use for anything.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, Wingman said:

I also shoot a 682X trap gun for sporting. I prefer the parallel combed Monte Carlo stock and it suits me very well. Suggest you see a coach or fitter first though as your issue could be mount related. 

That's my next plan of attack. I asked the last instructor I had and my mount seemed good, once I got out of bad habits from PSG and semis. I do think I have issues with consistency of mount though, I need to practice more. I certainly need more instruction, I was just hoping to start off reasonable, then improve with tuition :D

I assumed (probably wrongly) that stock was more preference, then fitting would get you to work with the gun? Is it more the other way around, that fitting would highlight the stock shape more suited?

Cheers

Loads of sporting clays people choose trap guns for the higher comb. MC stocks usually have the comb parallel with the rib too and again this suits many people.

I've done quite a lot of reffing at registered sporting shoots and just by observing gun fit from close by I can say that in my experience, almost all the AAAs and most AAs choose what you call a "high shooting gun" rather than a flat shooting gun. That keeps their eye and line of sight clear above the rib which is a big help on most sporting targets. Some people do look flat along the rib like aiming a rifle and do hit clays but very few of the top 20% "rifle" their gun at sporting.

8 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

I'm looking at a Monte Carlo Miroku 800, non-adjustable, standard looking rib. 

If the comb is parallel to the rib then it’s designed as a trap gun. Many people use trap guns for Sporting, including myself; you’ll only find out if you can shoot it by trying it. 

17 hours ago, Scully said:

If the comb is parallel to the rib then it’s designed as a trap gun. Many people use trap guns for Sporting, including myself; you’ll only find out if you can shoot it by trying it. 

Sounds like trap to me then. I'll see if there's any way I can test the gun out before buying.

Cheers Scully

23 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Sounds like trap to me then. I'll see if there's any way I can test the gun out before buying.

Cheers Scully

Indeed it probably is, but most (not all) guns with a Monte Carlo stock are trap guns.  Doesn't mean that they cant be highly effective at ESP or even game.  I use my 682X for trap, sporting and pigeons and it suits me well.  In fact I took my sporter out the other day and struggled with it so I guess I have gotten used to the setup on the 682X.  Unless the gun shoots really high it should be just fine.

Only problem is the weight felt like I was lugging around a GPMG after 4 hours in the fields!

Edited by Wingman

Gun fitter .Go and see one . He will advise you as the best course of action .. May need an alteration , may need to alter your mount , may need to change gun, Best find out which is YOUR best option .

Opinions on a forum , well meaning but can be conflicting .   What " I like " / what "I do" and what YOU need can be two very different things .

18 hours ago, Gunman said:

Gun fitter .Go and see one . He will advise you as the best course of action .. May need an alteration , may need to alter your mount , may need to change gun, Best find out which is YOUR best option .

Opinions on a forum , well meaning but can be conflicting .   What " I like " / what "I do" and what YOU need can be two very different things .

Thanks for the info

Seeing a fitter is my plan eventually. I don't think I'm good enough currently to benefit from proper gun fit, though that could easily just be a wrong opinion 🤣

On 15/10/2019 at 18:18, Westward said:

Loads of sporting clays people choose trap guns for the higher comb. MC stocks usually have the comb parallel with the rib too and again this suits many people.

I've done quite a lot of reffing at registered sporting shoots and just by observing gun fit from close by I can say that in my experience, almost all the AAAs and most AAs choose what you call a "high shooting gun" rather than a flat shooting gun. That keeps their eye and line of sight clear above the rib which is a big help on most sporting targets. Some people do look flat along the rib like aiming a rifle and do hit clays but very few of the top 20% "rifle" their gun at sporting.

👍👏👍

57 minutes ago, Wingman said:

Proper gun fit is key to getting better! 

No such thing as "proper" gun fit, only the individual him/herself can arrive at the correct equation, this can only happen once you've crossed lots and lots of other little and large streams along the way, even experienced, consistently high scoring shooters have a fluid, evolving "gun fit" - Westward above is as always on the money (it helps no end watching thousands of people shoot as long as you're interested and logical about the subject).

If you send a guy off to ten different "gun fitters" you'll get at least 9 different measurements, only the individual will know (in time) what's right. 

Gun fit for the newbie and average shot can best be described as close enough is good enough - the really good shots need to spend much thought and a little money to fine tune things to squeeze another 2-4 targets out of themselves. I can give 5 targets to an average shooter without touching his gun. 

Edited by Hamster

In my humble experience 60% of problems are mount and stance .

As Hamster points out there "gunfitters " and there are "gunfitters " .Many times a customer has come to me with instructions from a shooting coach/ gunfitter that are totally wrong . 

Too many take the attitude that "I do this and like this therefore you should to".

Being told that you need a longer stock [cos thats what I like ] when actually you need some cast . Being told that you need a higher comb , when you really need to mount the gun differently .

I have repeatedly posted my opinion on gun fitting . and its not all about adjusting the stock 

10 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Gunman is right lots of the improvement work is on technique not just adjustments.  

There are Gun fitters and gun fitters like there a gunsmiths and gunsmiths.  When people point out go to 10 fitter get 9 different set of measurements same goes to gunsmiths and working to measurements.  

Absolutely, there are just so many variables, that's why I say there's no such thing as "proper" gun fit. 

I used a PFS stock for well over 10 years primarily for its recoil reduction but as we know it is also adjustable every which way including length of pull which would take about 1 minute to alter - yet in all that time I never once felt the need to alter it from winter to summer despite the fact we wear what must amount to a good inch or so worth of extra clothing/padding ! The odd 2mm here and there is not the cause of our misses in other words.