Antler hunt may be over! What are these???

Miroku_Dave

Good afternoon all, 

So it seems after making my hunt for antlers well known I may be in line to receive these monsters!

They sit on the wall at work, weigh a ton and are held up by two tiny screws, they're a bit of a hazard so the boss is looking in to how to get them off the books!

My question is, what sort of antlers are they??

They're extremely old, and extremely huge! Would it be a cardinal sin for me to chop them up for knives?? Do antlers degrade over time? 

They should keep me going for years if i do decide to chop them up :lol:

Antler 1.jpg

Antler 2.jpg

Antler 3.jpg

They're moose. Doubtful they are from Scandinavia as it is rare to see them that size.  I would say eastern seaboard of the North American continent, Newfoundland that sor tof area.

They don't look large enough to be Alaskan.  There is a sub species in the Rockies and I saw some with heads similar south of Jackson Hole when on an Elk(Wapiti) hunt.

The tines would work but the mass would likely be like fine honeycomb.  I will gladly buy one of them off you as I have special use for such, nothing to do with knives.

Edited by Walker570

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Neither Moose nor Elk but Irish Elk which died out several thousand years ago. There are other specimen heads in existence. 

where the hell did you get that from? 

They are moose. 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

They're moose. Doubtful they are from Scandinavia as it is rare to see them that size.  I would say eastern seaboard of the North American continent, Newfoundland that sor tof area.

They don't look large enough to be Alaskan.  There is a sub species in the Rockies and I saw some with heads similar south of Jackson Hole when on an Elk(Wapiti) hunt.

The tines would work but the mass would likely be like fine honeycomb.  I will gladly buy one of them off you as I have special use for such, nothing to do with knives.

This. 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought this Wooly Mammoth molar to cut up for knife scales but when it came to getting the radiac out, I couldn't bring myself to (possibly) destroy something older than me granny!!

L9f0Nps.jpg 

QdEFNWC.jpg

k6FgHww.jpg

When i've seen knives with mammoth tooth scales, I'm always amazed at the beauty of them!!

John 🙂

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Just looked at some mammoth tooth scaled knives, there are some stunning knives out there with it on. Also mammoth ivory especially cross grain cut scales.

Mammoth molar is extremely expensive over £100 for two pre cut scales or block, does make a stunning knife but at that price and the work and hours put in if you want to sell it what could you get for it? I don't even think the knife makers adage of the blade makes the knife the handle sells the knife would count there. Also at that price there is no room at all for error.

There's a fella on you tube don't know his name big bloke always sitting down at this funny looking work bench, its just a flat piece of steel really, he makes THE  most stunning knives I have ever seen, turns tool steel into a work of art, always has some kind of patterns cut into the blade which is never ever shown on the video how he does it, you just see the end result, anyway he made one from mammoth molar and I have to be honest it was a thing of beauty so much that I was sporting a semi.:whistling: