Trained/Trainer Fox Red Labrador

OddJob

I am considering getting my first dog and am looking to use it as a peg dog. However, given the day job, I do not have the time to properly train it. Therefore I'm either looking for

1) a decent breeder of fox red who trains as well

2) a decent breeder 

3) A decent trainer. 

If anyone has any personal experience with any of the above I would be really grateful. 

5 hours ago, Grandalf said:

I had the experience and it was a very bad one.   Do the job yourself if you possibly can.   Or wait until you can.

Took me two years to sort the dog out.

How did it go so wrong? Surely a decent trainer would give a good outcome? 

The 'trainer' - a man of some renown in past years - told me he had done basic training in a kennel yard only.   It turned out that the nine month old dog had never been out for a proper walk, only been in a car once - to the vets - never been in a house, his only exercise was playing with other young dogs.   When I got him home he wouldn't come in the house.   He had only ever walked on concrete or grass.   When he heard his feet on a wooden floor it totally freaked him out.   Whistle work was non existent.    For five months I had to walk him on a 50 metre rope to practice recall.   He had me off my feet several times.   Anything coming out of cover - sparrows, hares, pigeons, etc - would just scramble his brain.   He was a good hound but he had just been ignored.   I got very close to selling him off as a pet but persevered.   He is now two and a half and lives in the house, wildfowls, foxes with me at night, stalks with me for roe, munties and CWD and only rarely goes on a lead.   I am an old man and have bred and trained very many dogs in the past.   I am definitely not a novice but it was very hard going.   You definitely don't want all those problems with your first dog.

Fully trained or nothing would be my advice if you can't do the job yourself.

No, I am not selling you my dog!