Correx Crow decoys

steve_b_wales

Following the instructions above I bought 2 sheets of proplex from wicks, £2.50 each. Drew a silhouette of a crow on cardboard, drew round it on the proplex and cut out 24 silhouettes with kitchen scissors. Glued them together in pairs to make 4mm and at the same time glued in some old thin metal tent pegs.

Tried them this morning, very quick and easy to set up and carry. 

Crows came in fast, dropped 4 in 4 shots the last 2 as a pair then it went quiet. A few more came over but hovered above shooting height or flared off about 100 yards. Altered the pattern slightly and added 3 picked to it. Shot 2 more then it went absolutely dead for above an hour so came home. 12 shots fired, 6 crows down, 5 picked.

Thank you very much for the advice above, they obviously work as the crows on my perm are very wary. 6 birds in a short session is above average. 

May go back tomorrow as I clipped some wings to try. I've sewn them at the peak and attached wire to spread them.

20211007_094825.jpg

20211007_091538.jpg

Looking into my hide when setting up

20211007_091436.jpg

38 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

They'll now become my standard carry for crows and methinks I'll make the same number again but a slightly different silhouette 

👍

There's plenty of websites that you can get ideas etc off, including this: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/crow+silhouette

I usually cut the shape out, scan it and enlarge it. They work especially well with Jackdaws.

Edited by steve_b_wales

Hi I Centrepin it’s good to try something different. I still use goose silhouettes my friend made for me over thirty years ago. He used plywood and the neck swivels with a bolt and wing nuts. He made hard wood pegs but they were heavier than the decoys. I use bamboo canes now. I show a photo of them when I used them last month still going strong. And a photo of the pigeon decoys 

DED05357-C560-4EDD-BD4F-46851320A53A.jpeg

733287CC-3B24-46B6-8BCF-1182809FA576.jpeg

CB5A67E2-9A6A-4EBC-9DA4-34E6B5ADBFB0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Gas seal said:

Hi I Centrepin it’s good to try something different. I still use goose silhouettes my friend made for me over thirty years ago. He used plywood and the neck swivels with a bolt and wing nuts. He made hard wood pegs but they were heavier than the decoys. I use bamboo canes now. I show a photo of them when I used them last month still going strong. And a photo of the pigeon decoys 

DED05357-C560-4EDD-BD4F-46851320A53A.jpeg

733287CC-3B24-46B6-8BCF-1182809FA576.jpeg

CB5A67E2-9A6A-4EBC-9DA4-34E6B5ADBFB0.jpeg

Looks good,  especiallythe geese 

I've done that with 3 crows (6 wings) to try next time out. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Centrepin I was using my correx crow decoys this week. Made a few years ago from for sale boards and l gave them a new coat of black board paint. When I made them l put two together and fixed them at the top with two small cable ties. I put a bamboo skewer in each one opened it up slightly and set it up in the ground. I found them more stable in the wind and they look better in the field. The two skewers gave them more strength and they didn’t blow away or fall flat. You could try it with a couple of your decoys and see how it goes. We once painted a few pumpkins with black board paint and set them up in the field to see what would happen. Two rooks came into them and I shot one.but  I wouldn’t carry a bag of black pumpkins across the field . 

1 hour ago, Gas seal said:

Hi Centrepin I was using my correx crow decoys this week. Made a few years ago from for sale boards and l gave them a new coat of black board paint. When I made them l put two together and fixed them at the top with two small cable ties. I put a bamboo skewer in each one opened it up slightly and set it up in the ground. I found them more stable in the wind and they look better in the field. The two skewers gave them more strength and they didn’t blow away or fall flat. You could try it with a couple of your decoys and see how it goes. We once painted a few pumpkins with black board paint and set them up in the field to see what would happen. Two rooks came into them and I shot one.but  I wouldn’t carry a bag of black pumpkins across the field . 

Mine are working fine and I've made some pigeon ones as well.

Not been out other than Rats, Hares and rabbits in that order for over a week.

Not out till Tuesday this week as I've finally got my covid booster at 8am tomorrow followed by opticians at 0930. Might make a recce in the PM but looking forward to Tuesday. 

All my decoys are already packed in the car🙂