Sights to behold.

JDog

The number of pigeon immigrants has continued to increase. This morning a first light huge flocks were descending from the sky from such a height that I could hardly pick them out with my binoculars. I believe that they will have travelled over night from Scandinavia. These flocks flitted about with no real purpose and not once did I see any great number go down to feed.

But it was the tweety bird migration that took my breath away this afternoon. Trying not to exaggerate I believe that I saw 2,000 plus Redwings, hundreds of Goldfinches, assorted other Finches, Skylarks, Meadow pipits and all sorts of other little brown jobs that I could not identify. These birds were heading over the Wolds in a determined manner in a westerly direction. I have never seen anything like it. 

Edited by JDog

On the radio this afternoon they were reporting on the Swans that migrate to Welney and the lady was saying about the Red Wings and Field Fares that are already here .apparently in good numbers .

My mate rang me up last night to see if I wanted any pigeons , I turned his offer down to have a go with him to shoot some pigeons last Sunday on some old Bean stubble , he went mid morning and because of the rain showers he went on the side of the wood instead of being out in the open , he was saying there were 100s about and they didn't really want to know about decoys which didn't bother him as he is one of the best game and pigeon shots I have seen , he said he took everything that came in range and ended picking up 120 , he also said he rang all the local small dealers and they all had more than enough including  , The Wild Game Company at Saxmundam , Norfolk game Services at Postwick , and a couple of smaller ones , the only one he didn't ring was Bambridge who I believe are still taking fresh and frozen pigeons ,