Pheasant identification

Wooder

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Melanistic.  Walkers the Game Farmers out nr Bromsgrove.... no relation.... used to rear a few thousand for an estate in Yorkshire(I think) where that is all they released.

yup.............they fly fine and are a heavy fatty bird when they are bought in .............in my experience when they are caught up and bred with all and sundry at the end of the season ...they can be usless fliers (the off spring).................

57 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Melanistic.  Walkers the Game Farmers out nr Bromsgrove.... no relation.... used to rear a few thousand for an estate in Yorkshire(I think) where that is all they released.

M.G. Walker and Sons, Game Farmers, are based at Farmcote nr Bridgnorth, about 20 miles from me….

59 minutes ago, martinj said:

all ours are Melanistic this year, it's nice to see a few but boring in their hundreds. They are supposed to be good fliers, I'll let you know on beater's day :yes:

It was that tame could have caught it with my bare hands. 

Three years ago my neighbour released 20 or so white birds as trophy forfeits. Their are three that have survived the last two seasons that hang out in my field. Yesterday the beaters came up to drive all the birds to the top wood and the white birds flew the other way. They have learnt which side is safe. I sat out behind the line yesterday half debating if I should back gun as there was a lot of birds coming over.

We’ve only put these down for years. Everyone think we are mad but we get slightly better returns than ring necks. 

I was in another syndicate just up the road and we tried 100 mixed in with ring necks one year and we never shot a single one.

its a funny game.....

• 3 weeks later...

we had melanistic pheasants on the shoot I drive the game cart for about 5 years back and they were the worst birds for flying we have ever had in the 15+ years I have been there .

during the beat you just  about had to kick them up the backside to get them to lift …. on a morning when we dogged in they would run the full length of the field with the dogs close behind and the bag numbers for that season were the worst ever ….. the land/shoot owner ordered them after attending a shoot down south the previous season ….. but he agreed it was a huge mistake and has never overruled the keeper again 

On 16/10/2019 at 13:45, Walker570 said:

Seen loads round Ripley castle way years ago.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Seen loads round Ripley castle way years ago.

I do believe that the ones reared especially by Walkers went to that location or very near.  I stand corrected the phesantry is between Kinver and Brdgenorh as stated above and not Bromsgrove.   We had a few mixed in with our birds from Walkers and they flew well and produced good eating birds as well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/10/2019 at 13:45, Walker570 said:

I know they can wander, BUT that is one hell of a wander  !   Yorkshire to Kent  ?      😄