Knots

chrisjpainter

use knots most weeks ...............lorry mans hitch.............young lads still marvel a t the winch knot ....boline..........."fox comes out of his hole around the tree and back into his hole again......hangmans knot.....wipping (lashing)......knots

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

wont waste rope on them ..piano wire is good enough for them....

Took quick, surely? Piano wire's gonna cut right through when the drop happens!

I usually use a sheet/double sheet for attaching rope anyway, but there seems to be different opinions on the reef/square knot for attaching two ropes together. Anyone use it for that? netknots.com reckons it's not strong enough in load-bearing tasks.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

I usually use a sheet/double sheet for attaching rope anyway, but there seems to be different opinions on the reef/square knot for attaching two ropes together. Anyone use it for that? netknots.com reckons it's not strong enough in load-bearing tasks.

Reef knot works best when both ropes are the same diameter - If they're different, it can slip, but just put a half hitch at both ends. Any knot should be better and constrict better when under constant or increasing pressure

24 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Used a double sheet to tow an errant balloon from RM Condor back to harbour when fishing from arbroath many moons ago (No not on the kayak :D )

On 16/10/2019 at 19:22, JohnfromUK said:

There is a reference book called "The Ashley Book of Knots" written quite some time ago (1944).  I think there may be a free pdf download available.

i've got a copy sitting in front of me - it's the knot bible
Image result for ashley book of knots

On 17/10/2019 at 20:12, lord_seagrave said:

Tied a neat couple of monkeys fists not so long ago for Lady A’s shop sign. Did a lovely eye splice too for a rope in the back of my pick-up that was starting to fray.

My favourite has got to be the shoelace knot that Nick Beardo (?) posted one here years ago! I start it with a surgeon’s thumb knot and that combo never seems to undo.

The other one I use now and again is a fisherman’s knot - two ends of rope joined with two thumb knots. So beautifully simple.

LS

it's such a good shoelace knot isn't it!
i got that from Ian Fieggen's site years ago - really good site with excellent illustrations for knots.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

3 hours ago, Beardo said:

i've got a copy sitting in front of me - it's the knot bible
Image result for ashley book of knots

it's such a good shoelace knot isn't it!
i got that from Ian Fieggen's site years ago - really good site with excellent illustrations for knots.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Now trading at something like £30 - with the edition you have at £50!