Mixed meat / game burgers

DoolinDalton

The only one I've ever seen was a few years ago when a friend had a go at a few.

He stayed away from the darker meats as they were too strong (personal preference) and did something along the lines of hare/rabbit/pheasant I think.

He just added some seasoning and not much else.

I think he did something clever to bond the meat together but can't remember what.

Half the fun is experimenting!

Use either 2/3 or half pork belly to lean game meat if pigeon and rabbit. You need the fat.  The rest is to to you. I like to finely chop some onions, garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander and mix it all in. Apple and cider thyme and rosemary goes well also if you want more of a faggot to serve with gravy and mash. 

You can buy mixes off the net easy enough if your in a rush. 

Pigeon burgers are so good we don't buy burgers any more. The sausages are pretty good too. Leek and chive is a good place to start.

You can add pigeon mince to chilli and spag big also. 

If you do make burgers and sausages id recommend a larger batch say 10lbs or so as it's easier than smaller ones and you'd be surprised how quick you eat it. 

So far everyone likes them and comes back for more so can't be too bad.

I have become a bit famous for my game pies at 'elevensies' and these contain whatver is available game wise, plus about 25% of the total pork belly all coarse ground and I add the salt pepper etc before putting in the grinder(mincer) this mixes it well with the meat.  Often I make up a little to much for the pie/s and have a burger press so make a few burgers with the rest.

As said above you can add an egg which helps keep it all together but not essential. One little add on is to put some chopped smoky bacon in the press first then the mix then another layer  on top.  Not really rocket science, you can make up whatver you fancy.  My meat mix is usually anything I have in the freezer at the time and I ask for the damaged birds at the days end as these can be used, no problem. 

I have added, apricots, apples and even dates and never had any left over.

Same mix will make super game sausage.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I have become a bit famous for my game pies at 'elevensies' and these contain whatver is available game wise, plus about 25% of the total pork belly all coarse ground and I add the salt pepper etc before putting in the grinder(mincer) this mixes it well with the meat.  Often I make up a little to much for the pie/s and have a burger press so make a few burgers with the rest.

As said above you can add an egg which helps keep it all together but not essential. One little add on is to put some chopped smoky bacon in the press first then the mix then another layer  on top.  Not really rocket science, you can make up whatver you fancy.  My meat mix is usually anything I have in the freezer at the time and I ask for the damaged birds at the days end as these can be used, no problem. 

I have added, apricots, apples and even dates and never had any left over.

Same mix will make super game sausage.

What pastry do you use for the pie?

thanks

Andy

7 hours ago, WelshAndy said:

What pastry do you use for the pie?

thanks

Andy

Hot crust, the same as for pork pies.  I raise the pastry in a spring form baking tin, lard the interior and then line with baking paper, bottom and sides, larding it first helps the paper stick.

I use a flat sided whisky gass to roll the pastry thin around the sides and press the base down.  Getting a fairly thin pastry case makes a great difference.  I then roll a large enough piece for the top and after painting beaten egg around the edges I place this on and trim and press the edges.  You have to work quickly with hot crust as if it goes cold it will just crumble.  Coat the outside with beaten egg for a nice brown finish and initially bake in a hot oven  220 for about 40 mins checking to see if the crust is browning, then cover with foil and turn down to 180 and let it cook for another hour before checking with a meat thermometer... I cook to the 'pork' marking on the thermometer, this ensures the meat is cooked to the centre and the pie crust will be nice and crisp and browned.  I remove the foil for about 20mins at the end which just puts a glazed finish on it.  Have a shop around the old book stalls and see if you can find a copy of Mrs Beetons Cook Book from around late 50s into the early 60s, there are some excellent country cooking examples in that, including the hot crust pastry.

I have to make one for 'elevensies' at Melbourne on Friday and will try and take some photos.  There is rarely any left an if there is I guarantee one of the guns will snaffle what is left to take home.

• 1 month later...