First time driven guest clothing needed!!

R6demon

On 18/10/2019 at 00:19, R6demon said:

Thank you for all the replies guys. 

i just need to find some socks and I’m sorted as I have a Tie and ridgeline coat!

If you pm me your address I have a pair of unworn shooting socks in red with a green turnover surplus to requirements you'd be welcome to.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a driven day and a chap turned up in beige jeans check shirt with red tie, cheap green wellies and a green coat, he looked a bit out of place and there was a bit of banter until he started shooting as he hardly missed a bird all day even silly distances that the guns on either side missed and a memorable high duck that no other gun would look at, and he was only 17 years old but we learned after he shot for GB junior clay team.

Well I’ve had to upgrade, was a beater at our DIY syndicate last season & have now upgraded to gun.

Whilst beating I was happy to wear trousers in German Tweed (Flecktarn), my Jack Pyke coat and a beanie. Probably not the done thing as a gun though. So I’ve  splashed out on Decathlon trousers in fetching poo-brown (super comfortable), got some Le Cham wellies, just about broken in, a Rydale Tweed-ish coat, and they’re doing 2 shirts for £25 at the moment.

Still not convinced the forest chickens will give two hoots if I’m wearing a tie or not whilst I’m attempting to give them acute lead poisoning, but I’ll wear one for the first day anyway.

To be honest , I never bother with a tweed coat until the weather get to near freezing and even then it need to dry , I find them ideal when it's a cold wind blowing and the temp is just above 0 , but if it is raining hard then they are far to heavy to walk about in , my favourite coat is a Musto medium heavy one that I bought from one of the game fairs a few years ago , it was in a sale and cost me just under £100 , which at the time seemed like a lot of money but as it turned out it was money well spent , if the forecast is for rain , like it is this coming Saturday then I always put a extra coat in the motor in case I need to change into a dry one after dinner , most of the time the one I have on is fine but one day last year the wind and rain was so hard it got in places where normal rain wouldn't and just about everyone got a bit of rain through there coats and some of them were at the top of the range in modern shooting coats , although on this particular day my extra coat wasn't needed as they called it a day at dinnertime and the next drive was the drive home :good:

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

I sometimes wonder if there is any such thing as a waterproof coat.

I have had some very close to being totally waterproof , but not 100% and like you say , I don't think there is one , one of the best ones I bought was a Le Chameau , I wore that coat for many years and is now my wild fowling coat , I would say it is well into the 90s% of being waterproof , got a hood on it , warm lining , two hand warming pockets and large back pockets where you can put a two or three duck in , I find the added advantage with a couple of Mallard in the back pockets is it keep your back nice and warm on the way home .