Sign in to follow this  
sandsie1

Field Mushrooms

Morning all,

Had a crop of these develop in my garden over the last few days and would appreciate confirmation as to whether they are field mushrooms or not. I'd hate them to go to waste if they are and as this is the first time in 20 years I've had a flush I am hopefully looking forward to a few inventive dishes cooked up by the other half.

Thanks in advance.

20191017_102334.jpg

As the guide says - avoid any that stain yellow when bruised or that smell of ink when broken.

1 hour ago, martinj said:

As the guide says - avoid any that stain yellow when bruised or that smell of ink when broken.

hello, may i add any mushroom with white gills, wiki info

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, may i add any mushroom with white gills, wiki info

Fair point (may be Death Cap, Destroying Angel or some such) but I was relating to the ones in the photo which have pink/brown gills.

6 minutes ago, martinj said:

Fair point (may be Death Cap, Destroying Angel or some such) but I was relating to the ones in the photo which have pink/brown gills.

hello, yes i know just thought to say, seems now a good time for mushrooms after the rain, cheers

They are all edible just that some are only edible once! If your not sure don't eat them!

But those in the pic look good to me

Thanks for the answers gents, precautions and tests will be carried out and if all seems ok will be followed by a good 'ol fashioned fry-up with plenty of mushrooms tomorrow morning. 😁

If this is your first time, slice them and check for maggots which can enter at the root, go up the stem into the cap :yes:

2 hours ago, martinj said:

If this is your first time, slice them and check for maggots which can enter at the root, go up the stem into the cap

Nothing wrong with a few maggots, its extra protein. :whistling:

Take the woofer over the manor which is a huge country park that the local council really don't bother with. There are loads of mushrooms out at the moment. but you can get nicked for picking them. The "park" was part of King Harolds hunting grounds and Epping forest and has a 500 year old law banning the picking of mushrooms or taking game which apparently still stands even today.

I picked a bag full of field mushrooms which I had in a Tesco's bag, got collared on the way back to the car and was told by some jobsworth warden about the law and it would be advisable to throw them rather than take them from the park. 

I cannot see any court enforcing a 500 year old law but is it worth finding out for bag of mushrooms?

They can and do enforce. 

Not just in Epping forest but several places. 

The trouble is a few people collecting for personal use is no harm but you get a lot of eastern europeans collecting commercially which absolutely hammer the fungi, which are important for the biodiversity of the forest/park etc. 

3 hours ago, fatchap said:

Take the woofer over the manor which is a huge country park that the local council really don't bother with. There are loads of mushrooms out at the moment. but you can get nicked for picking them. The "park" was part of King Harolds hunting grounds and Epping forest and has a 500 year old law banning the picking of mushrooms or taking game which apparently still stands even today.

I picked a bag full of field mushrooms which I had in a Tesco's bag, got collared on the way back to the car and was told by some jobsworth warden about the law and it would be advisable to throw them rather than take them from the park. 

I cannot see any court enforcing a 500 year old law but is it worth finding out for bag of mushrooms?

hello, i wonder if that warden would stop a gang of eastern europeans ? 

55 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Just found hundreds of these 

Any ideas? 

IMG_20191021_082249.jpg

Need to see gills and connecting tissues

They look like Parasol Mushrooms to me - check the info below and make your own mind up.

Said to be edible and good but in my experience a bit insipid, depends how you cook them. There are plenty around at the moment, I have seen dozens over the last couple of weeks, they are getting past their best in the south but you may still find good ones. As I said before, check the caps for maggots

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/parasol-mushroom-edibility-distribution-identification/

On 22/10/2019 at 11:03, martinj said:

They look like Parasol Mushrooms to me - check the info below and make your own mind up.

Said to be edible and good but in my experience a bit insipid, depends how you cook them. There are plenty around at the moment, I have seen dozens over the last couple of weeks, they are getting past their best in the south but you may still find good ones. As I said before, check the caps for maggots

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/parasol-mushroom-edibility-distribution-identification/

+ 1 Parasol Mushroom

My rule on mushrooms is this - if it doesn't come in a pick from Tesco I won't eat it.

It worth the risk. We have more poisonous varieties than anywhere else.  

I was quite keen at one time, the photo shows a good day's haul  from around 8 years ago,  the wood where I used to find the Boletes was "harvested" and is now a gravel pit :no: so that was the end of that. I still take one Giant Puffball every year and would take a few Boletes if I came across them.

DSC_3915a.jpg.5eea886f1968160b7b8f93975f516fe4.jpg

Just as a quick follow up, I'm still here and the mushrooms were delicious, just slightly more 'earthy' than the standard offering from supermarkets, so I'm hoping this was not just a one off for this year and I get to see some more next season. Thanks for your guidance one and all.

On 24/10/2019 at 11:31, martinj said:

I was quite keen at one time, the photo shows a good day's haul  from around 8 years ago,  the wood where I used to find the Boletes was "harvested" and is now a gravel pit  so that was the end of that. I still take one Giant Puffball every year and would take a few Boletes if I came across them.

DSC_3915a.jpg.5eea886f1968160b7b8f93975f516fe4.jpg

You`ve really must be confident with your identification to eat those, so good for you. I`ll stick with just the field mushrooms that I can identify.