Field Mushrooms

sandsie1

Morning all,

Had a crop of these develop in my garden over the last few days and would appreciate confirmation as to whether they are field mushrooms or not. I'd hate them to go to waste if they are and as this is the first time in 20 years I've had a flush I am hopefully looking forward to a few inventive dishes cooked up by the other half.

Thanks in advance.

20191017_102334.jpg

Take the woofer over the manor which is a huge country park that the local council really don't bother with. There are loads of mushrooms out at the moment. but you can get nicked for picking them. The "park" was part of King Harolds hunting grounds and Epping forest and has a 500 year old law banning the picking of mushrooms or taking game which apparently still stands even today.

I picked a bag full of field mushrooms which I had in a Tesco's bag, got collared on the way back to the car and was told by some jobsworth warden about the law and it would be advisable to throw them rather than take them from the park. 

I cannot see any court enforcing a 500 year old law but is it worth finding out for bag of mushrooms?

3 hours ago, fatchap said:

Take the woofer over the manor which is a huge country park that the local council really don't bother with. There are loads of mushrooms out at the moment. but you can get nicked for picking them. The "park" was part of King Harolds hunting grounds and Epping forest and has a 500 year old law banning the picking of mushrooms or taking game which apparently still stands even today.

I picked a bag full of field mushrooms which I had in a Tesco's bag, got collared on the way back to the car and was told by some jobsworth warden about the law and it would be advisable to throw them rather than take them from the park. 

I cannot see any court enforcing a 500 year old law but is it worth finding out for bag of mushrooms?

hello, i wonder if that warden would stop a gang of eastern europeans ? 

They look like Parasol Mushrooms to me - check the info below and make your own mind up.

Said to be edible and good but in my experience a bit insipid, depends how you cook them. There are plenty around at the moment, I have seen dozens over the last couple of weeks, they are getting past their best in the south but you may still find good ones. As I said before, check the caps for maggots

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/parasol-mushroom-edibility-distribution-identification/

On 22/10/2019 at 11:03, martinj said:

They look like Parasol Mushrooms to me - check the info below and make your own mind up.

Said to be edible and good but in my experience a bit insipid, depends how you cook them. There are plenty around at the moment, I have seen dozens over the last couple of weeks, they are getting past their best in the south but you may still find good ones. As I said before, check the caps for maggots

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/parasol-mushroom-edibility-distribution-identification/

+ 1 Parasol Mushroom

I was quite keen at one time, the photo shows a good day's haul  from around 8 years ago,  the wood where I used to find the Boletes was "harvested" and is now a gravel pit :no: so that was the end of that. I still take one Giant Puffball every year and would take a few Boletes if I came across them.

DSC_3915a.jpg.5eea886f1968160b7b8f93975f516fe4.jpg

Just as a quick follow up, I'm still here and the mushrooms were delicious, just slightly more 'earthy' than the standard offering from supermarkets, so I'm hoping this was not just a one off for this year and I get to see some more next season. Thanks for your guidance one and all.

On 24/10/2019 at 11:31, martinj said:

I was quite keen at one time, the photo shows a good day's haul  from around 8 years ago,  the wood where I used to find the Boletes was "harvested" and is now a gravel pit  so that was the end of that. I still take one Giant Puffball every year and would take a few Boletes if I came across them.

DSC_3915a.jpg.5eea886f1968160b7b8f93975f516fe4.jpg

You`ve really must be confident with your identification to eat those, so good for you. I`ll stick with just the field mushrooms that I can identify.