Field Mushrooms

sandsie1

Met a young Polish girl in the woods last year she had a basket full of mushrooms. I got chatting to her she said her grandmother had taught her to identify the edible ones for an early age, she said in Poland most people that live in the country were taught edible mushroom identification from an early age. 

18 hours ago, Wooder said:

Met a young Polish girl in the woods last year she had a basket full of mushrooms. I got chatting to her she said her grandmother had taught her to identify the edible ones for an early age, she said in Poland most people that live in the country were taught edible mushroom identification from an early age. 

How did you explain that away to the wife Nigel ?

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:58, Wooder said:

Years ago I used to fish at a reservoir which is surrounded by a pine forest, I was there all hours and was surprised at the numbers of people who came through with their baskets looking for mushrooms, they were nearly all Polish. This was before every man and his dog started picking everything in sight for sale to posh restaurants.

I developed an interest from talking to the Polish people and went out on a couple of "fungus forays" with a guide, to learn the basics, this was more reliable than learning from books in  my opinion.

Edited by martinj

On 18/10/2019 at 07:12, ClemFandango said:

They can and do enforce. 

Not just in Epping forest but several places. 

The trouble is a few people collecting for personal use is no harm but you get a lot of eastern europeans collecting commercially which absolutely hammer the fungi, which are important for the biodiversity of the forest/park etc. 

hello,  a report on the Epping forest problem in a national newspaper yesterday, and on WESSEX FM

Edited by oldypigeonpopper