A blizzard of pigeons.

JDog

Today I had a go at the first lot of immigrants to arrive in the area. They have been here nine days and number about 400 and I have let them settle into a routine of feeding in two stubble fields.

When I arrived at the field I could see very few. Undaunted I set up where I have seen them crossing a hedge yesterday. For those novices out there this is generally not a good idea. My hide was in the shade of a large oak in amongst some willows which had been rubbed by Roe deer. I put out the rotary which flashed in the sun and six birds on sticks.

At the first shot all 400 got out of the wood, swirled above me then sugared off. This was what I hoped would happen as the resting wood was too close to my hide position for my liking. Then they started to come back in large groups and headed straight for the decoys. These pigeons have never seen a rotary or a decoy pattern. I shot for ninety minutes until a headache forced me to stop. I thought I had shot fifty but picked fifty one, Jasper doing his usual trick of finding a long dropper.

6CB65B6F-5AAD-48C5-90E4-80F798538140.jpeg

7946C968-1B9C-44B6-9AA7-704402B9E7E4.jpeg

8B1C9CCD-DFDA-48ED-9195-2737B2628D78.jpeg