Old beans bonus!

motty

This time of year my pigeon shooting starts to take a back seat, with preference given to wildfowling. I keep my eyes open for anything that might deliver a good bag of pigeons, however.

I have been waiting for some soya beans to be cut, but that still hasn't happened. A field of cultivated beans was seen to be a favoured recent dining area, so I checked it out. Everywhere I looked there were large sprouting beans carpeting the sticky soil. The farmer later told me the field would have been drilled with wheat a while back, had it not been for the recent persistent rain.

I had never had a good sized bag of birds on this particular small farm, but I had had many good bags in the vicinity.

I chose a dry day (thankfully) with a light breeze. I arrived at my destination at around 9am to see around 250 pigeons happily feeding. I walked them off and wasted no time in setting up. I put a couple of nets around some poles in a ditch with ankle deep water. The almost obligatory pigeon carousel was positioned a few yards in front of me. No other decoys were used to start.

I had customers almost immediately, and dropped the first 5 for 5 squibs. Big flocks left the nearby trees after these first few shots. I was shooting well and enjoying myself. Jules joined me an hour or so later. By that time I had shot around 30.  We had periods of lulls followed by periods of frantic action. We certainly racked up several pairs. It was clear by how well most of the birds committed, that they had not been chased hard recently.

Every shot in the book was had during this session, and it really was a delight. A nice pair stone dead over the decoys followed seconds later by a high driven bird, was exactly the kind of shooting we both enjoy.  We were both in a good rythm.

All good things come to an end. The action slowed dramatically, so we decided to call it a day at around 4pm. We figured any more pigeons would live to fight another day  -  maybe we can have another go at them in the not too distant future.

Anyway, we bagged up the birds and walked them back to the trucks, leaving me hot, sweaty and panting like a dog. The final tally was 177 pigeons. 

WP_20191015_001[1].jpg

WP_20191015_003[1].jpg

Brilliant report and result for this time of year, following my return from holiday I was looking forward to some bean stubble shooting but have found nothing yet. You state that this time of year you look forward to your wildfowling but you can never discount a field of feeding pigeons. Thank you for reporting, well done.