Fishing Holidays.

fatchap

Not a fishing person myself but can thoroughly recommend Kingslakes in Devon. 7 lakes packed with trout, tench Bream, carp. 

I went because Kingslakes sells my knives, slingshots in their tackle shop. Went with a pal of mine who is seriously into his fishing, he set me up with a split cane rod and center pin reel on a lake called The Kitchen lake, had some little basket on the line which he put bait into and a worm on the hook, wasn't long before I was panicking as the tip of the rod started to bend off to the left, next the reel was spinning and I didn't have a clue what to do. My mate supervised and eventually a 7 pound mirror carp was safely in the landing net. Went on to catch another two, the last weighed in at 14 pound.

Stuart the owner is a damn fine chap, very hospitable and friendly, if you need anything he will do his best to get it, The clubhouse does some serious food and all in all had a great weekend. Rained all weekend but that weren't a problem sold a few knives and got a few orders so pretty productive. But for someone who has never been lake fishing in his life I don't think I did too bad, my mate had 5 that day, but some bloke with all the gear not 10 yards away blanked, he was looking over everytime we caught. My mate said I bet he's up early in the morning and sets up where we are. True enough walked down to the lake at 8.00 in the morning and there he was all set up where we was fishing. Sad or what?

Well worth a visit.

https://kingslakes.co.uk/

12 hours ago, fatchap said:

Not a fishing person myself but can thoroughly recommend Kingslakes in Devon. 7 lakes packed with trout, tench Bream, carp. 

I went because Kingslakes sells my knives, slingshots in their tackle shop. Went with a pal of mine who is seriously into his fishing, he set me up with a split cane rod and center pin reel on a lake called The Kitchen lake, had some little basket on the line which he put bait into and a worm on the hook, wasn't long before I was panicking as the tip of the rod started to bend off to the left, next the reel was spinning and I didn't have a clue what to do. My mate supervised and eventually a 7 pound mirror carp was safely in the landing net. Went on to catch another two, the last weighed in at 14 pound.

Stuart the owner is a damn fine chap, very hospitable and friendly, if you need anything he will do his best to get it, The clubhouse does some serious food and all in all had a great weekend. Rained all weekend but that weren't a problem sold a few knives and got a few orders so pretty productive. But for someone who has never been lake fishing in his life I don't think I did too bad, my mate had 5 that day, but some bloke with all the gear not 10 yards away blanked, he was looking over everytime we caught. My mate said I bet he's up early in the morning and sets up where we are. True enough walked down to the lake at 8.00 in the morning and there he was all set up where we was fishing. Sad or what?

Well worth a visit.

https://kingslakes.co.uk/

Grand weekend by the sounds of it. And nice work on the fish caught.

I just don't see the appeal of the camp-it-up carping world. All electronic bite alarms, bait boats and camouflage so the fish don't see you from 80 yards away and under water... A few years ago, the then British record carp, Two Tone, died. I kid you not, there was a funeral and carpers turned up to pay their last respects! 

Your way sounds much, MUCH more appealing! and that site looks like a beautiful place to pass the time. I'm a VERY rare pleasure angler, mostly it's lure fishing for me (in freshwater).

15 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Grand weekend by the sounds of it. And nice work on the fish caught.

I just don't see the appeal of the camp-it-up carping world. All electronic bite alarms, bait boats and camouflage so the fish don't see you from 80 yards away and under water... A few years ago, the then British record carp, Two Tone, died. I kid you not, there was a funeral and carpers turned up to pay their last respects! 

Your way sounds much, MUCH more appealing! and that site looks like a beautiful place to pass the time. I'm a VERY rare pleasure angler, mostly it's lure fishing for me (in freshwater).

It was a very enjoyable weekend.

This bloke had every single bit of kit imaginable must have cost him a fortune, had 3 rods on the go, bite alarms (which never made a sound while he was there) looked like a mobile tackle shop. and he looked like he was going deer stalking rather than fishing, not sure sitting on a realtree camo chair on a bank in full realtree camo jacket, trousers and boots is beneficial for catching fish or he just wanted to look the part. I had a padded shirt in bright white and blue check, grey jogging bottoms and Jack and Jones cap. After all I was going to the bar straight after. 

As I said I am not a fishing person, I enjoyed it and I can see the appeal but to get annoyed because you don't catch anything, surely that's fishing isn't it? after all if it was easy it would be called Catching.

Could have been beginners luck on my part I have no idea, but it was fun while it lasted, and thats in my opinion what fishing should be.

All the gear, no idea!

You're right, catching should only be part of the story. If I'm bank fishing, I always have the binoculars with me, there's wildlife to watch and birdsong to pick out. If I'm kayak fishing, even in the sea, there's always stuff to watch, or a paddle on to a new mark and just enjoying the outdoors. Going out to sit  in a green tent and wait for thing to go beep is just a waste

Not wishing to hyjack the thread and pleased you had a succesful and enjoyable day, the thread just coincided with me sorting through some old photos of a trip I did to Jackson Hole USA and we booked a day on the Snake river with a professional guide in a drift boat.  IF ever you get the chance then do it. The memories of that day will be with me for ever.

This was our lunch stop.

One wild rainbow of the 50 plus fish we hooked and landed that day between two of us and all on a size 16 dryfly.  The water was so clear you could see the fish come up from 10ft of water and I missed the first two or three because of anticipating the take.

P1010044-0002.JPG

P1010022-0002.JPG