shed base construction

paul1966

I have a 6x4 shed that i was going to stand on breeze blocks and fence posts, the shed will only house chickens but i dont want it to sink over time. I was just going to sit the blocks on soil but now i am thinking of diging down a bit and filling the hole with some stone we have that we removed from a rockery, the stones vary from about 5mm -10mm size. would i be better using the stone first and tamping it down with a sledge hammer and then the block or would the weight of just the shed be ok on soil?

5 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

Just use the shingle in the holes , tamp down, then blocks on top.

yup.....:good:you cant compress shingle or stone....as said remove the topsoil where the blocks go.........dont bother to lay a base cause the rats will burrow underneath it....

also set up a hide....for the rat shooting...cause you will have some fun :lol:

Breeze blocks are just the right height for a cat or small terrier to get under the shed. Stops the rat problem getting a hold.

We have our shed and workshop raised up on breeze blocks. The workshop has concrete under the breeze blocks. The shed which doesn't hold anywhere near the weight has the blocks straight on the ground which is heavy clay. Been up for 16 years and not sunk.

Another way to spread the load is to put a slab under each breeze block.

49 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Breeze blocks are just the right height for a cat or small terrier to get under the shed. Stops the rat problem getting a hold.

We have our shed and workshop raised up on breeze blocks. The workshop has concrete under the breeze blocks. The shed which doesn't hold anywhere near the weight has the blocks straight on the ground which is heavy clay. Been up for 16 years and not sunk.

Another way to spread the load is to put a slab under each breeze block.

good thinking batman.........(woman sorry yvonne).:good:

Put the timber joists of the floor shed straight on the gravel, it will always drain and keep the timber from sitting it the wet.

Breeze blocks are great if you can stop them being wet on top when it rains and joists not sitting in water. Maybe keep the blocks back from the edges of the shed.