Wasted morning

figgy

Thought I'd chrono a string on shots with my Daystate Huntsman Classis as I noticed a pellet fly low and missed a Magpie at 20 yards. Then a few more were off in the so called sweet spot.

With JSB exacts 8.44 gr .177 I was averaging 740 FPS so way off the 12lb limit, or at least the 12.7 I prefer them to be. Last night i stripped the bits out to get to the hammer spring and gave it a tweak two turns clockwise, numpty. It chronoed over so back a turn should put it right on. Nope allover the place. Lost light for chrono and gave up till this morning. About 300 pellets later after getting very poor consistency going back on forth from no spring tension not fireing any air I've got it more or less back where it was and very consistent at 755 FPS 10.6 ftlb with a spread of only 12fps from the full 200bar fill to 110 bar,  lots of duals and less than 5fps difference in the sweet spot the next two mags after reaching 110 bar drop to 740's then 730's still usable but not for me as I see a drop on target.  More than happy with consistency but not with it being a good fpe below where I'd like it.  At 11.8 fpe it was awful every shot was getting slower and slower and you could watch the guage drop. Obviously the Harper sling shot valve system has a very small working window for consistent shots over a spread.  Only good point was I've somehow got rid of the poor shots from 200 to 180 bar, with only ten FPS drop across that first 20 bar I'm pleased. 

If anyone has a Daystate with the Harper Slingshot system I'd be careful if you tinker and go little at a time and see how it goes.

Figgy

I had a similar problem with mine in .20 cal. The power dropped off and slowly built up again shot after shot. It was up and down power wise as  well. Tried everything.  In the end I sent it back to Daystate for a service and asked them to set the power at 11.5, which they did. Its settled in again and is doing 11.8 with jsb exacts. I'm more than happy with it , being very accurate and consistant . Leave it to the experts.

On 21/10/2019 at 15:13, 222mark said:

I had a similar problem with mine in .20 cal. The power dropped off and slowly built up again shot after shot. It was up and down power wise as  well. Tried everything.  In the end I sent it back to Daystate for a service and asked them to set the power at 11.5, which they did. Its settled in again and is doing 11.8 with jsb exacts. I'm more than happy with it , being very accurate and consistant . Leave it to the experts.

Good call to getvthem to sort it if your struggling or rifke has issues. My only worry for you if you dont have an FAC is having it at 11.8 with jsb exacts if you were to get pulled and they put a bisley magnum in it you may find its over 12 limit

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2019 at 07:45, Arron yeates said:

Good call to getvthem to sort it if your struggling or rifke has issues. My only worry for you if you dont have an FAC is having it at 11.8 with jsb exacts if you were to get pulled and they put a bisley magnum in it you may find its over 12 limit

They don't make bisley magnums in .20,  JSB Exacts are a heavy .20 pellet.

Ah not sure about .20 pellets weights but after this and havi g a read i stand corrected... usually the jsb exacts are the lighter pellets compared. However the bisley magnum tein sister H&N Baracuda .20cal is slightly lighter... im shocked as these are usually the heavy weights in calibres .177 & .22 but not in .20 lol

I've been finding it's not such as just the weight of the pellets but how loose in the barrel too. If they're loose like the Hades they fly faster, could potentially take your gun upto and even slightly over the limit.  A loose fitting BisMag might push a gun well over the limit. Bit of a minefield and worth staying lower that you'd like on power. A gun with anti tamper could be a problem if all it takes is one pellet over to go over the limit. Look at the difference in FPS between all the chrographs, even the radar FX one gives different speeds depending how it's positioned.

Edited by figgy

16 hours ago, figgy said:

I've been finding it's not such as just the weight of the pellets but how loose in the barrel too. If they're loose like the Hades they fly faster, could potentially take your gun upto and even slightly over the limit.  A loose fitting BisMag might push a gun well over the limit. Bit of a minefield and worth staying lower that you'd like on power. A gun with anti tamper could be a problem if all it takes is one pellet over to go over the limit. Look at the difference in FPS between all the chrographs, even the radar FX one gives different speeds depending how it's positioned.

Yeah see, the police use Skan chronographs so i usually use my friends Skan in his workshop he would then do the sticker and a range card for meter intervals. Then every now and then id double check it with my conbro or tge fx chrono. The combro was giving the same result as the skan on all the averages, then once you have matched the averages using the fx chrony and know where to use it on the barrel note it down and then necmxt time you check it should be ok. 

My XtxAir tunned Bsa ultra se has anti tamper removed, it has never creaped however over 3 years the power has dropped on the average fpe from 11.8ft lbs to 11.3 ft lbs however down range there is no poi shift between the powers once ive done all the calibration info. It was hiven to me from Xtx Air at 11.5ft lbs however i tweeked it to 11.7/8 as i found at 50 and 60 meters it tightened up the groups to a 5 pence peice and beat the wind slightly better. 

Dammed shame about the FX chrono being so finicky about it's location on the barrel.

In the instruction diagram I saw on another forum the location appears to be flush or a couple of mm back from flush with end of silencer or barrel. Most of them I've seen are mounted a couple of inches back.

Edited by figgy

Ill try mine few mm from the front but found 2 inch from end of the silencer was the same as the SKAN.  bareing in mind that FX say an inch ish from the muzzle. My bantam sniper has a shroud on and then a silencer so is this in the correct place as its already left the barrel 4 / 6 inch already lol..... rattle your brain

The image I saw showed the front face of the radar square just back from the front where the pellet exits. The barrel clamp was further back due to is shape and where it's fixed to the chrono.

Worth a try see how it does. As far as I'm aware the radar works on the rear of the pellets as they travel down range not as it moves up the barrel. 

I'll see if I can find the instruction image, I tried yesterday to see but couldn't find it on agf thats were I saw it.