Imobilised

pigeon controller

Set out at 08.30 with no idea of where to look for pigeons. Drove out to a field of maize we saw last week which had one pass through it, to see if they had finished it . No change.  We were not seeing any flighting birds at all, we came to a small spinney with twenty birds in the ash trees when we stopped and looked it had another twenty down on the clover among the HORSES. No way would we get permission as they had stopped the guy who shoots the rabbits at night driving the field. We were approx half way through our permissions when we found some birds down on some voluteer rape. We clapped them off and contineud our search to no avail. We returned to the rape and the birds had returned so we called the farmer and he said it had been shot in the week but they only had a few as the just did not return. We would not consider this normally but it was the only flock of birds we could find, so we drove across the field and set up with twelve thawed birds with two on the magnet. Then the fun started, the Disco was behind the hide and when I inserted the key into the ignition lock, Nothing happend. I then locked the car with the fob and then it would not open with the fob. When I opened the car with the key the alarm would not stop, looked for EKA code in the handbook wallet nothing in it. POO!

I need the spare key , following a total knee replacement in May and complications the wife is still not driving. So phoned my son who was replaceing his sisters brake pads thirtyfive miles away. He agreed to collect my spare key and bring it over to me.

During all this waiting time the birds were decoying with the Disco in full view and DB and I had some good shooting, the next thing I get is a call from my son, I'm at the gate of the field can I drive up . The next thing I see is him driving up the field in the V-8 Disco with road tyres . I try the spare key and it all works like clockwork, sorted. I said to my son have a go in the hide and DB said he would take the dog for a mouch along the hedge. Its twenty odd years since he shot a gun and missed the next two in the decoys but took a shot at a wide crosser and stoned it. With that he left. It was now 14.00 and the birds slowed up, the main flightline to the field was passing over a sports ground and they had started a game of football which was causing the birds to change the flightline. At 16.00 it started to rain so we threw everything into the disco and left the field.

I used the original first key and it worked fine now!!!!

We decided to go to another farm and shoot the edge of a roost wood, when we arrived they had a shooter in situ. We move to another farm with an occasional  flightline which we managed a further six birds but cracking shots.

We ended up with fiftynine birds and the crops had the following:- Hawthorn berries, acorns, maize, clover,wheat and barley.

100-3449.jpg

59 Pigeons

Edited by pigeon controller

A good day for our standard but not we have come to expect from you two it, just go's to show that even the best can find it hard at times , if I had been in the same boat and it started to rain at 4pm then I am sorry to say that would have been game over for the day and the next place I would have stopped would have been my house , fair dues for trying to get a few more . 

If you had the key close to your body while you were shooting your body heat will have warmed it up and increased the voltage - if your fob fails it's always worth trying to blow hot air on it for a couple of minutes or wrapping it in a bit of plastic and put the fob end into your mouth. 

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

If you had the key close to your body while you were shooting your body heat will have warmed it up and increased the voltage - if your fob fails it's always worth trying to blow hot air on it for a couple of minutes or wrapping it in a bit of plastic and put the fob end into your mouth. 

Thanks for the advice, the keys are in my trouser pocket are usually very warm under my " boil in the Bag" over trousers and I think they did recover. When we set the hide up I left them in the ignition with the doors open and it may have chilled them. I will replace the batteries and carry the spare in future.

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I, like you,  learned the hard way. As a result I used to keep a spare key fob battery in the glove box................................I NEVER needed it  !      👍 

I carry the spare with me now, I checked the voltage of the fob and it was within spec, spare  batteries in the glove box.