Try gun or no try gun

4535jacks

I have shot it at a pattern plate and it was hitting the right spot.  I have missed a few reasonably easy birds with it but that could be down to a lack of currency as i don't shoot shotguns that often anynore.  I am thinking of keeping this gun long term (unless a perfect AYA XXV sidelock came up which is my dream walked up gun) and so i want to invest some money to ensure it is right for me.  

That’s the way to go , a gun can’t be properly fitted unless the fitter/coach sees how you shoot at different targets. When you are shooting and reaching up for high driven birds and birds on your bad side( ie left to right for aright handed shot)  then the fit has to be good to shoot consistently well. Shooting at a static plate can’t replicate the full range that a gun has to fit and work for you. At the very least you will be confident after the fitting and alterations ( if required) that your gun is perfect, at best you will be shooting* out of your boots!

I purchased my 16gauge Army and Navy with a broken stock. I also had a BSA 12 gauge and I spoke with a well known old school stocker and he watched me mount the 12 gauge and shoot a few clays. He said I was compensating a bit and he could probably bend the stock slightly which would improve the fit.  He restocked the 16 gauge more or less to those measurements and both fitted me like a glove. Fortunately I have not changed shape much over the 40yrs since then and both guns still come up naturally. If I miss then it is my fault.

My advice is to do the same. If your stocker is well recommended then go with it. It is absolutely up to you, but doing both AND seeing a few shots fired both at a plate and a clay or too can tell a lot of tales.  If your keeping the gun then yes, go for it and spend a few bob because regardless of fit your confidence will take a leap forward.

when i had my guns fitted....the smi9th would stand at the back of the shop with a target covering his face with a pinhole in the middle which he would look thro......i would then up and mount ....up and mount.....until he was happy he could see what needed to be done .....................old skool

Edited by ditchman

The answers already given indicate that there's more than one way to skin a cat. What is more critical than the method chosen is the competence of the person using it. This is reflected by the notes and particularly those supplied by Chris Craddock on my coaching course which relate to the particular method in question - the title is, " The Try Gun Its Use And Abuse".

It depends on the gun where possible I’d use a “really gun” as the shoot better than try guns but you need to have something that can be set up and adjusted sometimes comb raisers and recoils pad spacers etc can work perfectly, other times the adjustability of a try gun is the only option.  
whilst at Churchill’s I rarely used a try gun but I had over 50 guns to pick from and then a few try guns 

Try guns are OK but they have there limits .

I have never used one and I have fitted and altered hundreds of stocks and their users .

Talking to the man/woman is the first and most important point .To find out what is the problem . An experienced eye can tell in a few minutes if the gun is wrong , cast , length or drop .

As I have said so many time stance and mount can be 60% of problems and it is not always easy to persuade the shooter that it is in fact him thats wrong not the gun . 

To many people have started shooting , been wrongly advised by "mates " at the club and frequently sold guns that are not correct for their level of competence ,again quite often by that "mate" at the club and by shops who do not have the time or knowledge to make sure the gun and man are compatible .

You can develop bad habits that some find very hard to get out of , Add to this the constantly being told that you need an adjustable comb , a recoil reducer , extended chokes of this make as they are better than that make , you need this foresight or that foresight .When all you really need is some one who actually knows what they are talking about to give you a few pointers .

But most important of all is that you can not fit a gun to a man who can not shoot or of very little experience ,other than to see the overall perimeters are about right .