Kennel heater ??

samboy

Hi Gang.

I'm going to put a 2 ft tube heater in the dogs kennel on a timer now winters approaching.

Can anyone recommend a decent one. The 2 kennels are in a shed so they have plenty of protection.

Thanks all. 

29 minutes ago, samboy said:

Hi Gang.

I'm going to put a 2 ft tube heater in the dogs kennel on a timer now winters approaching.

Can anyone recommend a decent one. The 2 kennels are in a shed so they have plenty of protection.

Thanks all. 

How cold does it get around you? 

I know some lads up Scotland use heaters as they can get very cold when in a bad spell, heard of some proper winter's well into the minus number, however I wouldn't have the heaters on unless it was very cold as the dogs adjust and their coats thicken up when used to living out. Also is it just one dog on his own or multiple? 

My number one priority would be to ensure that the dogs have a size appropriate enclosed bed, which has good bedding for warmth, is 100% and 100% wind / draft proof. 

i never had a kennell heater as such.........the kennells were well insulated and i had 4" of vet bedding on the sleeping areas....what i did have were an infa red lamp set on a temp switch......which i used to over ride when the dogs were wet after a days work,,,i checked them over ...fed them....then they would lay flat out under the infa red lamps for 3 hours....then the lamps would go back on the temp' switches.........

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i never had a kennell heater as such.........the kennells were well insulated and i had 4" of vet bedding on the sleeping areas....what i did have were an infa red lamp set on a temp switch......which i used to over ride when the dogs were wet after a days work,,,i checked them over ...fed them....then they would lay flat out under the infa red lamps for 3 hours....then the lamps would go back on the temp' switches.........

Sensible Ditchman. 

After a hard days work, ensuring your dog is warmed up, thoroughly dry and been well fed before back into the kennel is a good start :) 

I live in SWScotland and do not use heaters. I have draught proof kennel boxes, two dogs to a box and close down the outer door at night or in real cold weather. My labs have to lie out in the worst weather picking up and wildfowling. I have always felt that they develop good thick coats for the winter without any form of heating. I do not consider heaters would help or are necessary.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

How cold does it get around you? 

I know some lads up Scotland use heaters as they can get very cold when in a bad spell, heard of some proper winter's well into the minus number, however I wouldn't have the heaters on unless it was very cold as the dogs adjust and their coats thicken up when used to living out. Also is it just one dog on his own or multiple? 

My number one priority would be to ensure that the dogs have a size appropriate enclosed bed, which has good bedding for warmth, is 100% and 100% wind / draft proof. 

It can get cold here, 1 Whippet, 1 Bed x Whippet. They have a kennel each but sometimes snug up together. 100% wind/draft and waterproof.

Was thinking of having heating hour on hour off on the timer. 

3 minutes ago, samboy said:

It can get cold here, 1 Whippet, 1 Bed x Whippet. They have a kennel each but sometimes snug up together. 100% wind/draft and waterproof.

Was thinking of having heating hour on hour off on the timer. 

Stick them in together when it's cold mate.

DO they have good bedding? 

I insulated my kennel with 25mm polystyrene and lined it with 1/4" ply, raised the bed off the floor on two pallets so air could ventilate under the bed.  Made a covered bed box on the pallets and bedding inside in the end as kennel was a 6'x4' shed with attached run so his body couldn't warm that height kennel.  Had plastic door curtains on like on warehouses where fork trucks run through to keep out wind. Bed was not in direct sight of door so no drafts on bed.

If weather was really cold a couple of bricks put in the oven to heat up and wrapped in blanket kept dog warm for hours.

Thought of putting in tube heater in a cage, never bothered in the end as wife would keep putting it on, she's daft with dogs. Bricks warmed did such a good job. Wife would have them ready in oven for when I got back from shoot.

Ditchy the infra red bulb is a good idea, only heats the objects not the air.

Woolpack pub Long Sutton very many years ago.   Six fowlers sharing an attic bedroom along with their dogs.   Very, very, cold for a long spell.   On the third night the landlady opened the door and said "Thought you might be a bit cold".   She then threw her Labrador into the room, closed the door and left.

Sensible lady that.   Keep out the drafts and add another dog.   They don't need heating unless they are ill. 

6 hours ago, figgy said:

I insulated my kennel with 25mm polystyrene and lined it with 1/4" ply, raised the bed off the floor on two pallets so air could ventilate under the bed.  Made a covered bed box on the pallets and bedding inside in the end as kennel was a 6'x4' shed with attached run so his body couldn't warm that height kennel.  Had plastic door curtains on like on warehouses where fork trucks run through to keep out wind. Bed was not in direct sight of door so no drafts on bed.

If weather was really cold a couple of bricks put in the oven to heat up and wrapped in blanket kept dog warm for hours.

Thought of putting in tube heater in a cage, never bothered in the end as wife would keep putting it on, she's daft with dogs. Bricks warmed did such a good job. Wife would have them ready in oven for when I got back from shoot.

Ditchy the infra red bulb is a good idea, only heats the objects not the air.

infa red is good for older dogs as the heat penertrates deeper....last thing you want is it on all the time...just long enough for the dog to relax and dry out....then the body takes over....:good:

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2019 at 14:55, Grandalf said:

Woolpack pub Long Sutton very many years ago.   Six fowlers sharing an attic bedroom along with their dogs.   Very, very, cold for a long spell.   On the third night the landlady opened the door and said "Thought you might be a bit cold".   She then threw her Labrador into the room, closed the door and left.

Sensible lady that.   Keep out the drafts and add another dog.   They don't need heating unless they are ill. 

+1

For the OP- I will see if I can dig out the details of the one I fitted over 2 years ago. It was cheap and has done the job with no problems. Possibly because it's very rarely used.

2 dogs in a small, insulated space will soon warm up. Mine have no bedding at all but are in a well protected area, out of the wind in a completely dry kennel(shed)

If it's very cold the heater will kick in and I might even drop the small hatch door at night but that's rare.

Unless its bitterly cold they are usually out in the run rather than the kennel so it must be ok?

Edd