Home Brew Spirit

nnorman32

I have used a couple of the Solomon Grundy kits from local,homebrew shop

baically you add loads of your own sugar to water, boil it up, add yeast, leave, add some carbon to clear it

when i did it I used to add the 'flavourings' like southern comfort, rum etc

it was ok but not great

i prefer buying the spirit and pimping it up as it's almost guaranteed results

i suppose at £30 it may be worth a punt. What do you get for your £30?

Aren't you going to end up with something closer to bramble wine than bramble vodka? If your starting spirit is 21% ABV then it's going to end up losing quite a few % when you add fruit and sugar. I've never tested the ABV of my sloe gin but I start with a 37.5% ABV spirit and from the taste and effects once it's completed I'd guess it's only around 20%.

So long as it's for your own consumption Yes. Lads I worked with one made his own whiskey with a reflux still with the copper top added to a turbo 500 then bought himself some small oak barrels to age it in, spent a few Bob on ports and sherry to age the barrels with. Other just made the base sprits and added whatever flavours he liked.

Edited by figgy

15 hours ago, redogi73 said:

Sorry but no it's not legal without a license, even for personal use. I'm not saying authorities would be that interested but it is illegal.

Bit like making your own bio diesel.

Edited by figgy

I've done the kits in the past and they basically use turbo yeast to ferment as high as possible, but that tops out at 21%ish - I suppose you could do the brewdog thing and freeze distil - Put it in the freezer (in plastic) and once frozen take out to defrost and the first thaw will be alcohol with frozen water left behind (Works great with supermarket beer!!).

To use as a base spirit for proper drinks it's a waste of time, but as a base for a punch/sangria type thing they work

• 1 month later...
On 21/10/2019 at 00:15, figgy said:

So long as it's for your own consumption Yes. Lads I worked with one made his own whiskey with a reflux still with the copper top added to a turbo 500 then bought himself some small oak barrels to age it in, spent a few Bob on ports and sherry to age the barrels with. Other just made the base sprits and added whatever flavours he liked.

Its a bit more complicated running a still than first meets the eye. There are some toxins that have to be removed and discarded, called the fusil liquids. On the other hand, there are a lot of stills available and books on the internet.

• 8 months later...
On 21/10/2019 at 00:15, figgy said:

Lol fair play tread carefully my friend tread very carefully indeed hmrc loves a martyr lol 

The lad who bought the barrels contacted the authorities to check if he had to pay duty on what he made. He said they told him for his own use and he was ok. He was that straight laced wouldn't even bring some for us to taste. 

The other lad no longer makes it but used to make some rocket fuel with bailey flavouring.  Started at 90 ISH pure alcohol then added a little water and flavours, used to add this mix to cream to drink.  T500 water purification system I think they were.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/10/2019 at 23:39, oowee said:

Is that legal? 

Umm no lol

100 % noooooooo

read the hmrc statement on it

Its only legal in new zealand as far as I'm aware to distill spirits at home for personal consumption 

That would be a custom man's wet dream if they caught you here in the uk belive me lol 

Edited by hafod