What Can Go Wrong On A Day Pigeon Shooting ?.

marsh man

Reading P Cs report Saturday night about his immobiliser going wrong during a pigeon shooting session got me thinking , there must be 100s of reasons why your day haven't gone to plan like all the normal reasons such as , spraying , hedge cutting , dog walkers , wrong gun and wrong cartridges for the right gun, and so on.

If I thought about it I am sure I could come up with some unusual ones , one of which is very clear in my mind as it only happened a few days ago .

Whilst having a look round for a few pigeons I stopped to have a yarn with the tractor driver who was carting spuds in boxes that were on the back of his trailer , when the harvester came past he said his cheerios as it needed unloading , what went wrong I don't really know but the shoot on the harvester missed the boxes by a couple of foot and a good half hundred weight went on the floor , with my car being a short distance away and the litter picker along with a few empty bags were inside , there was only one thing for it and that was to clear them up .

When I was carting the last carrier bag back to my motor I could hear a load of dogs yelping and barking down the end of the wood , a couple of minutes later I could see a pack of hounds in full cry running hell for leather more or less straight at me , I was about 30yds from the wood and they ran between me and the wood , then a minute or two later came the horses and riders , the first one had a big lady who looked far to big to be horse riding , she had a Green coat on and blowing a small horn , then a couple of smartly dressed blokes followed by a load of other riders , this was the closest I have been to a hunt in full flow and I dread to think what would have happened if I was tucked up in a hedge and that lot had ran through my decoys .

This didn't end there as the police were at the beginning of the tracks and lanes that criss cross the estate due to a lot of protesters in balaclavas , not really a day to shoot a few pigeons .

Now what have disrupted some of your days ??

We were set up in a field near Rutland Water many years ago before the Hunting Ban.

They came through at full chat, 72 horses and riders, a large pack of hounds and lots of hunt followers.

They didn't give a toss about other countryside sports men.

Went straight through the decoy pattern, no sign of any fox.

Since then I have little regard for the hunting fraternity.

11 minutes ago, JDog said:

Of late I have found increasing numbers of metal detectorists in stubble fields which I had planned to shoot.

Fox hounds have often disrupted proceedings in the Cotswolds.

Never had to many problems with people with there metal detectors , although one farm I go on had a good field of Pea stubble , when I looked on the Friday there were a good lot of pigeons , come the Saturday that was the field they were holding a convention or whatever you call a gathering , the field was tapped out into like 10 yard lanes and the guys were covering every inch with there detectors , needless to say I had to go into plan B  :yes:

11 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We were set up in a field near Rutland Water many years ago before the Hunting Ban.

They came through at full chat, 72 horses and riders, a large pack of hounds and lots of hunt followers.

They didn't give a toss about other countryside sports men.

Went straight through the decoy pattern, no sign of any fox.

Since then I have little regard for the hunting fraternity.

Yes I know what your saying , no doubt there are some very nice people who are into hunting , and maybe one day I might meet one of them , the ones I saw the other day didn't notice I was standing there in full view , if they did not one of them gave me a wave , maybe they thought I was protester gathering spuds :lol:

34 minutes ago, JDog said:

Of late I have found increasing numbers of metal detectorists in stubble fields which I had planned to shoot.

Fox hounds have often disrupted proceedings in the Cotswolds.

Yes ditto JDog sometimes have to go extra early to beat them too it , couple of time they have started detecting oblivious to me being set up 😳

Another one which I doubt will happen again was one of these like little stunt planes you see at the air shows was spraying the Pea field I was on , whoever he/she was in the plane was certainly a very good pilot , the spray covered my decoys and dead pigeons with a fine White spray , it didn't do me any harm and my rubber decoys are still here to tell the tale . 

36 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

It's been a long time since I did any pigeon shooting, but I arrived at my favourite pond on the opening morning of duck season to find that it wasn't there! It had dried up. An awful lot of preparation and travel had gone in to that trip, but this eventuality didn't occur to me.

Touch wood I don't have to go to any great distance like you no doubt have to for your sport , fifteen miles is normally my maximum so I can check most of my land before I chose a day to shoot on .

Having said that , one field of Broccoli I went on I looked at it on a Thursday afternoon , the workers were cutting it by hand and were about half way across , I left it till Saturday and when I got there at dinner time the crop was not only gone the farm had more or less worked overnight and planted a whole new crop of small Broccoli plants , I did have other fields to go on as they grew getting towards 800 acres of the stuff , but as far as I know the field I was referring to was then a record for that farm by taking the old crop up and replanting the new crop within 24 hours .

A couple of years ago I had decided to shoot a favourite spot in a small wood where I usually get a few birds, it was early september and a very nice sunny day, the fields were covered in new baled straw and the air was full of pigeons, I drove to the spot where i wanted to set up and dumped my gear, hid the car and spent half an hour getting everything just right, I settled into the hide when I heard a banging sound close to my left side, I got out of the hide to be face by a white haired old lady with two saucepans , banging them together and shouting 'murderer ' at me at the top of her voice, for a woman of probably late seventies she had amazing strength and determination, banging her saucepans continually for some time, I asked her to go away , very politely, but she refused and told me to f off, 

After some time she eventually got fed up and moved away towards some nearby houses, I settled back into the hide ready for the next flock of birds to descend when I was again disturbed, this time by 3 trucks towing trailers and about 8 or 9 men who started loading the bales, moving slowly around the field and leaving and returning for more loads of bales.

I still had not fired a shot and decided to pack up and go home, the woman apparently saw me clearing away and had phoned the police who met me at the farm gate in two squad cars , fully armed and looking very aggressive, I was encouraged to get out of my van with hands in full view, both I and my van were searched and all my papers checked, both for the van and my gun, 

having failed to find any fault they questioned me in depth, what,why,where etc, then gave my van a full inspection, brakes, tyres lights, everything , but again failed to find anything at which time they told me in future to phone the local police station when I intended to visit again and inform them I was there after pigeons, grudgingly they then let me go, they had held me there for almost 1.1/2 hours , some days are just not meant to be, that one was best forgotten , I have not been back to that spot since and dont intend to ever return, 

I related my experience to the land owner a few weeks later but he only saw the funny side , but he did give me a better area to shoot in the future, so it ended well.:yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Metal detectorists, dogs randomly running around no lead on private land with no public footpaths, even had a bloke once got out a car 300 yards away walked in the field smoking wacky backy and was  walking around, me and dad didn't say anything for a minute and just watched and he was walking in the decoy pattern looking amazed y the birds wernt flying off, before I said can I help you mate? and he said o r u shooting birds here today, nooo having a picnic with decoy mates, enjoy ur food he said lol

that's what usually happens to me, combines!! although there was a time when a couple of us were carp fishing, the opposite bank was open to the public and there was a couple enjoying the sunshine. Things got a little out of hand as he risked sunburn on the bum. Things didn't stop there as they walked onto a bridge, she was leaning forward onto the parapet while he got busy from the rear. All very distracting!

Decoying pigeon on the edge of a wood with my son, we were stalked upon by 6 German soldier's in full uniform and carrying guns as we sat in our hide , we thought better to warn them our guns were real and we were not part of their game play, they slinked back into the wood after apologising and a few laughs.

But shortly all hell let loose with thunder flash explosions , gunfire and shouting. pigeon shooting done for he day.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I once had a walker have a carp 30 yds from my hide. He wiped his **** on some grass and walked on unaware of my prescence.

if you had any decentcy you would have shouted or let one off halfway thro the operation.......

I think probably my worst moment, that I have NEVER forgotten,  was to drive 80+ miles to find a stubble blue with pigeons. Upon unloading all of my gear and  setting up on the field, I moved my vehicle back near to the field gateway. I then went into the rear passenger compartment, where my gun would normally be................no gun  ?  I had left it in the kitchen, back home. Thankfully, after asking around, a local keeper lent me an old AyA.  I still lost some 2 hours shooting though. 

31 minutes ago, B725 said:

Many years ago we were having a really good day until 6 hot air balloons decided to land in the field behind us, it cleared the pigeons away better than we could. 

Never had any hot air balloons land on the field I was on , but I did once have one of these micro lights planes that sounded like an old vintage Vespa's scooter , once he landed I was curious how he was going to take off again , when the time came to take off , he started the engine , ran a few yards and off he went , I could still hear it going in the distance a fair while after I could see it .

been buzzed by a police helicopter 2 years in a row while shooting pigeons on stubble in the middle of no where.was expecting the ground troops but was so well tucked up in a hedge with overhanging tree it would of been a challenge to find me had they turned up.farmer suspected local tree hugger as it had happened before with another guy on the permission.

took me spaniel on its second full days pigeon shooting on stubble as the day before had gone so well.

was like cock of the north as i rocked up in the field,had to use me van as the terrano was playing up so had the dog in the front with me.

opened the back of the van and the Mrs year old cat jumped out,luckily it didnt do one so had to take that home as it was too hot to leave it in there all day.

not a happy bunny.

23 hours ago, London Best said:

I once had a walker have a carp 30 yds from my hide. He wiped his **** on some grass and walked on unaware of my prescence.

:)