Sign in to follow this  
Walker570

Why??

I am still at a loss to see why you cannot fill a PCP from a compressed air tank filled by a compressor.  OK I'm a bit tick but can someone explain.

I have a compressor which fills a large tank. I can switch off the compressor  but still blow up my tractor, trailer, Landie tyres from what is in the tank, much like a divers tank.

Confussed and appreciate a easily understood explanation.

I have thought of that myself I did ask somebody and said the air is not pure enough don’t know if it’s right.

My logun needs 230 bar I can't see your compressor holding that much pressure plus using a divers bottle ensures its dry air. 

I think its to-do with water from a compressor, plus does your compressor go up to 300+ bar?  

If I connected via a drier would that work.  Do not know what pressure my unit goes to...what is 230 ....300  bar in old money?

I think its OK if a water drain is used - a bit like taking water out of diesel. 

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If I connected via a drier would that work.  Do not know what pressure my unit goes to...what is 230 ....300  bar in old money?

300 bar = 4350 PSI, the average garage compressor runs around 10 bar = 150 PSI.

Most PCP need around 190+ bar, plus the compressors they use to fill divers bottles produces dry air, your workshop compressor will produce a lot of water even with a water trap, it will also not reach anywhere near the bar/psi to fill a PCP to the desired pressure.

I think they also use water to cool the air,i have seen the compressors for sale on evilbay but don't think I would trust them at that much pressure.

Your compressor will go to around 110psi.

Airguns need over 3000 psi, that's why you can fill with a low pressure high volume compressor.

Much the same in reverse, you couldn't fill your tractor tyres with a high pressure dive cylinder low volume compressor. 

Hope this explains it.

Edited by figgy

Home use high pressure, as in 300 bar, compressors suitable for refilling pcp air rifles and small dive cylinders have been coming down in price for some time now - items such as 223673103716 on fleabay are being tested out by air rifle enthusiasts and are getting reasonable reviews. 

You need to take your time with them and ensure that they do not overheat by doing short sessions but so far they have not been falling apart or breaking in the first 5 minutes and are a reasonable option if you have a long return journey to your nearest dive shop.

I use a pump normally ....didn't realise how strong I was :lol:

Thanks for your replies. I did not know/realise that my little AA S200 had that amaount of pressure lurking in it.

My 6ltr makita compressor runs up to 8 bar and fires my nail guns nicely .

My air bottle for my pcps gets filled to 300 bar  and the guns  work from 250 bar downwards to around 100 bar ..

You should go to a dive shop and look at a compressor capable of pumping to 300 bar of dry breathing air  , its impressive and they cost thousands of £s 

Nomad 11 compressor can be had for just over 600 shekels. Won't fill a dive cylinder but will top up your gun.

That's a lot of refills at a dive shop or airgun range.