Why??

Walker570

I am still at a loss to see why you cannot fill a PCP from a compressed air tank filled by a compressor.  OK I'm a bit tick but can someone explain.

I have a compressor which fills a large tank. I can switch off the compressor  but still blow up my tractor, trailer, Landie tyres from what is in the tank, much like a divers tank.

Confussed and appreciate a easily understood explanation.

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

If I connected via a drier would that work.  Do not know what pressure my unit goes to...what is 230 ....300  bar in old money?

300 bar = 4350 PSI, the average garage compressor runs around 10 bar = 150 PSI.

Most PCP need around 190+ bar, plus the compressors they use to fill divers bottles produces dry air, your workshop compressor will produce a lot of water even with a water trap, it will also not reach anywhere near the bar/psi to fill a PCP to the desired pressure.

Your compressor will go to around 110psi.

Airguns need over 3000 psi, that's why you can fill with a low pressure high volume compressor.

Much the same in reverse, you couldn't fill your tractor tyres with a high pressure dive cylinder low volume compressor. 

Hope this explains it.

Edited by figgy

Home use high pressure, as in 300 bar, compressors suitable for refilling pcp air rifles and small dive cylinders have been coming down in price for some time now - items such as 223673103716 on fleabay are being tested out by air rifle enthusiasts and are getting reasonable reviews. 

You need to take your time with them and ensure that they do not overheat by doing short sessions but so far they have not been falling apart or breaking in the first 5 minutes and are a reasonable option if you have a long return journey to your nearest dive shop.

My 6ltr makita compressor runs up to 8 bar and fires my nail guns nicely .

My air bottle for my pcps gets filled to 300 bar  and the guns  work from 250 bar downwards to around 100 bar ..

You should go to a dive shop and look at a compressor capable of pumping to 300 bar of dry breathing air  , its impressive and they cost thousands of £s