Always happens when you need it...

Walker570

Just have a project on the go that requires some wood being planed and what does the planer do?  Yep, it pops it's clogs.  Every time I go to switch it on it blows the contract trips switch.

I am no electrician, so before I start to disassemble said planer, any suggestions.   It is a TITAN via Screwfix and I have had it a few years and it has ben invaluable.  Throw it in the bin or repair , what do you think?

Edited by Walker570

Has it been smelling "fishy" OR a sort of acrid smell?

unplug and examine every inch of flex supplying it.....could be a dodgy flex shorting out on vibration BUt this would blow plug fuse as well, so it's unlikely as it would happen when it's switched off

can  you access the motors carbon brushes?....cheaper ones do not have an internal hold-off spring   .  so the brushes wear out ( motor usually splutters and fraps for a while and occasionally loses power before this happens) and the contact spring shorts out the commutator ( the big chunky copper lump at the back end with slits in it ) this usually allows the magic smoke to come out and death is almost instant 

Give it a few knocks on the bench,. Could be a stuck contact.

Try spinning the blades round see if it stuck.

Get the hand plane out, nothing as satisfying as getting full length see through curls off a bit of wood.

Edited by figgy

PM sent

20 hours ago, figgy said:

Give it a few knocks on the bench,. Could be a stuck contact.

Try spinning the blades round see if it stuck.

Get the hand plane out, nothing as satisfying as getting full length see through curls off a bit of wood.

Gave that hand stuff up back in 1959 when I took my A Levels at Grammar School:good:

A very nice offer from Strimmer and I will be having a look inside mine as well as a visit to North Dorset.

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

PM sent

Gave that hand stuff up back in 1959 when I took my A Levels at Grammar School:good:

A very nice offer from Strimmer and I will be having a look inside mine as well as a visit to North Dorset.

I’m due to send some bits to him if you drive down nev. I’m posting but let me know if you go. 

your always welcome to use my plane at work ;)  as you seen today . Drum sander there too

That is no problem, I run a very good courier service:yes::good:

I was a bit chuffed today when i got back, I remembered everyhting my woodwroking master at Atherstone grammer had taught me and joined those pieces edge to edge using dowels and they cam out spot on. Will divulge the finished piece on here when complete with compliments to you.

Way ahead of you figgy. It was good to see his new big planer has full cover safety panels but the hole either end is still accesible by errant arms and  hands BUT his heart is big and in the right place.

Edited by Walker570

48 minutes ago, figgy said:

Count your fingers if you do go to his workshop.

Just saying 🤪

Ha 😀. I’m glad he can count because I can’t lol 

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

That is no problem, I run a very good courier service:good:

I was a bit chuffed today when i got back, I remembered everyhting my woodwroking master at Atherstone grammer had taught me and joined those pieces edge to edge using dowels and they cam out spot on. Will divulge the finished piece on here when complete with compliments to you.

Way ahead of you figgy. It was good to see his new big planer has full cover safety panels but the hole either end is still accesible by errant arms and  hands BUT his heart is big and in the right place.

Thank you 😊. But seriously just ask if you want anything 

Motor brushes are renowned for sticking with dust with that sort of dusty use, rubber mallet give the motor a donk on the casing not hard enough to destroy it just to make a vibration, it sometimes brings a result , if it does it needs a clean out, give it a blow,

with an airline !

Edited by deny essex

switch contacts could have gone pear-shaped or dust under the push button  not allowing a full contact clean them up with wet  and dry  try again if fixed order a new switch     or bypass  the switch  if that doesn't work   the problem may be deeper  ie brushes  about £6   or the motor is caput  check the simple/ cheap parts first