Is FAC worth it ?

Daz Harrison

From my own experience I'd say that FAC isn't worth doing. If 12tf/lbs isn't enough for the job in hand grab a .22 rimfire and do it properly ;) I had FAC air, spent lots of pennies on getting it, then left it at home when I wanted more than 12 ft/lbs and took my rimmy ... Ended up selling the FAC air (at a big loss) because it just sat at home unused.

Yes most definitely, the difference is not just in the simplistic concept of increased range but increased accuracy (at longer ranges) as well as absolutely indisputable killing power. Quite simply the modern pcp at fac levels have changed beyond recognition, the range of heavy (and accurate) pellets as well as the imminent availability of slugs will mean comparing top of the line fac to a top of the range (merely accurate) sub 12 is like comparing a .410 with a 12 gauge - yes you will get the odd master hitting a 5 p coin at 55 yards with a legal limit rifle but put him in a hunting situation against say a FX Wildcat and he’ll be left for dead, you don’t have to aim for the head ;) .

I’ve read about people who back gun on high bird shoots with a .410 and clean up the injured birds missed by the 36g boys (yawn) but you can never find them when the money is slapped on the table.

Edited by Hamster

6 hours ago, Daz Harrison said:

What extra distence do FAC get over 12ftlb in a pcp ? I have it on my Cert but have never gone out and bought one.

.177 sub     50 yds .

177 fac       65 yds 

22 sub       40 yds 

22 fac  75 yds 

25 sub 30 yds 

25 fac 100 yds 

As you can see the biggest increase in range is with the .25 cal 

And the .177 may only increase the range by around 15 yds which leads many people to feel .177 fac is pointless .i disagree  

Anyway the above is realistic ranges .these are often  pushed out a bit further by some people / guns  .for others these ranges are unattainable. They are what i feel are realistic for a good gun /shot .

Stu  

3 hours ago, Daz Harrison said:

It's certainly worth thinking about, it is a real shame it de values your rifle though.

cheers for your thoughts chaps

It does, but it also makes buying second hand cheaper, most gun shops that stock air rifles have FAC guns at lower prices than the sub 12, smaller market.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 08:48, Daz Harrison said:

It's certainly worth thinking about, it is a real shame it de values your rifle though.

cheers for your thoughts chaps

Also Daz ,fac air is useful where you cannot use a rimfire due to land layout,

as a rimfire bullet can travel up to a mile, a fac airgun pellet is dropping at max of 300 yds so much

safer, I have used .22 fac air at 37fpe usualy out to max distance of 90 yds in good weather.

atb brian

9 hours ago, happyshooter said:

Also Daz ,fac air is useful where you cannot use a rimfire due to land layout,

as a rimfire bullet can travel up to a mile, a fac airgun pellet is dropping at max of 300 yds so much

safer, I have used .22 fac air at 37fpe usualy out to max distance of 90 yds in good weather.

atb brian

im just still unsure if to take my new daystate up to Fac, it's one of them that i need to think about as of this moment i would be limited to one farm where as with it being sub 12 i can take it on all my perms :)

Is the daystate regal any good at fac levels .?  I dont know  .also is the air tube big enough for the energy level  you may want it to run at .? 

I thought daystate made the xl (longer barrel and tube ) for fac rated guns .? 

Is yours an xl .? Or standard regal ? 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Go buy a cheaper fac airgun for that one farm and see.how you get on.

Id be more tempted  to either convert a well known sub 12 to fac (if it has the potential ) or buy a proper fac air gun for the job .ie an fx .bsa or airarms .

But i wouldnt buy any old fac airgun .as swapping fac guns around is a pain with all the variations required etc .

Get it right first time is the best way .

2 hours ago, Daz Harrison said:

im just still unsure if to take my new daystate up to Fac, it's one of them that i need to think about as of this moment i would be limited to one farm where as with it being sub 12 i can take it on all my perms

In all seriousness. Use your sub 12  first till summer ? at least .learn it ,master it enjoy it. Find its strengths and its weaknesses . Only then will you be able to decide what you may or may not need from a fac airgun .

You may want a 50 fpe .25 cal for long range rabbits .

You may want a light weight .22 for woods walking  .or a fast and light .177 for tree top birds . Or possibly a 100 fpe .30  cal for foxes .???  who knows  .Dont even attempt to guess just now .

I have been using a 177 s200 just for rats for the last few years. It works, a few thousand pellets I know how it works.

I have just bought a s510 fac in 22  as I need something something for squirrels. Yes  could bait and wait but no time. Quicker to thermal spot them in the trees hiding, then shoot them. Can't use the rim fire for that. The squirrel might be 50 yards away. So I bought the s510. 

Used on the rats couple nights back as it has adjustable power, 11.5 at lowest with a 14.5 grain pellet

Turn it up with a 22gn to 29footpound 

So far, works for me

7 minutes ago, activeviii said:

I have been using a 177 s200 just for rats for the last few years. It works, a few thousand pellets I know how it works.

I have just bought a s510 fac in 22  as I need something something for squirrels. Yes  could bait and wait but no time. Quicker to thermal spot them in the trees hiding, then shoot them. Can't use the rim fire for that. The squirrel might be 50 yards away. So I bought the s510. 

Used on the rats couple nights back as it has adjustable power, 11.5 at lowest with a 14.5 grain pellet

Turn it up with a 22gn to 29footpound 

So far, works for me

Some of the rat videos I watch on YouTube he uses a Fac 510 certainly does the job.

I have a Career 707 FAC .22 Carbine set at 28 ft lb and use it where I can't use my Magtech 7002 .22 rimfire. I have a permission to shoot rabbits in a public park and just recently used it to shoot rabbits, that had invaded an urban  garden. The Career power can be turned down using a thumb wheel in front of the trigger, but never use it, preferring the instant short range killing ability of FAC with no run offs, even with chest shots. My 12 ft lb Weihrauch  100T is just about redundant, deadly accurate for head shot rabbits, if they sit still long enough, but not conclusive for a body shot, when they move. The pic below my title says it all.  

A garden visit. http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/career-707-22-pcp-carbine-rabbit-stopper/