Essex lorry deaths

figgy

Terrible news breaking today. 

Police investigating the deaths of 39 people in the container on a trailer lorry.

Came in through Hollyhead on 19th October from Bulgaria all dead and one teen. 

People smuggling or trafficking.

Edited by figgy

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, I'm afraid.  Interesting to read an article today which sets Blair's immigration failures on the reason for the 2016 vote being to leave.   Serious failure on the port of embarkation authorities as well.  May cause all sorts of problems but all vehicles should be checked prior to crossing NOT when they have already arrived.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Same here, I'm afraid.  Interesting to read an article today which sets Blair's immigration failures on the reason for the 2016 vote being to leave.   Serious failure on the port of embarkation authorities as well.  May cause all sorts of problems but all vehicles should be checked prior to crossing NOT when they have already arrived.

But theyve come from the EU !
So no need to check anything :whistling:

In all seriousness , how many borders, how many ferry crossings, how many ports of entry has this container been through ?
In this case , it was full of people, FULL of people , not 2 or 3 , who sadly died.

Now imagine it was full of guns, explosives, drugs , hazardous chemicals, bio agents, or any of the other things useful to terrorists or criminals that fit into a container?

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Now imagine it was full of guns, explosives, drugs , hazardous chemicals, bio agents, or any of the other things useful to terrorists or criminals that fit into a container?

Is there any reason you would think that hasn't already happened?

37 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

AFAIk - even if the driver knew nothing about the affair, he still carries the can?

I believe you might be right. But all the same it seems a bit rough!  If the trailer had a customs seal on it the driver can't even check whats in it if he wanted to.

1 minute ago, bluesj said:

Is there any reason you would think that hasn't already happened?

I dont doubt it for a moment.
There was a good example of a couple of Eastern Europeans being jailed this year (with a pathetic sentence) for bringing in 10 semi automatic 9mm pistols in a secret compartment .

Swore blind (through an interpreter ) it was the first time theyd done it :lol:

18 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

But theyve come from the EU !
So no need to check anything :whistling:

In all seriousness , how many borders, how many ferry crossings, how many ports of entry has this container been through ?
In this case , it was full of people, FULL of people , not 2 or 3 , who sadly died.

EU knows what's going on and likely make a point of letting most trucks through with no checks - and dare I say occasional backhanders, anything to try and debilitate the UK in any small way they can. Unfortunate for the victims but they knew the risks involved to pass through safe countries where they could have claimed asylum in order to get to our very generous (to their earnings standards) benefits system.

Note I didn't say POOR victims because they will have found the money to pay for their sly and illegal method to get all the way to this countries free housing and heating, paid for by the tax payer.

Has anyone got a Henry hat?

Edited by Dave-G

It’s tragic by any standards, but is it shocking? Are any of us truthfully so moved as to do ANYTHING about it?  Anyone moved enough to even write a strongly worded email to....who exactly? Anyone? 
We all watch the news with its daily reporting of child refugees in Syria, or wherever they’re killing each other today; we’ll take an intake of breath and tut at the telly, shake our heads and possibly say something along the lines of ‘something should be done’ before getting back to whatever occupies our daily lives. 
In my opinion, we lost whatever it was we had left when no one was stirred enough to ‘do something’ about the seawater bloated body of a toddler being washed up on the shore some years ago. 
We are too well insulated from world tragedy and too comfortable in our daily lives, and absolutely inundated with news and images of death, that few if any of us can be bothered to be put out by yet more of the same. 
We’re all talking about it, but that’s as far as it goes. 

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Terrible news breaking today. 

Police investigating the deaths of 39 people in the container on a trailer lorry.

Came in through Hollyhead on 19th October from Bulgaria all dead and one teen. 

People smuggling or trafficking.

BBC are saying came in to Purfleet from Zeebrugge.

This won't be the last we will hear of. Tens of thousands are risking this across the Middle East and Europe every day. The legacy of Bush/Blair disastrous war in Iraq. Sadly evil people are making millions out of this dreadful, tragic trade. Like others here it doesn't upset me anymore although I am very upset for those in the emergency services who have to clear up the mess.