The Macnab

JTaylor91

Catching a salmon is inevitably going to be the most difficult part of the true MacNab.

I have shot grouse, ptarmigan, a Roe deer and caught a trout on the same day. I called that a ‘McWhirter’ after the brothers who founded the Guiness book of records.

16 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Rare for me, but actually quite achievable,  a fish and goose not that hard but rabbits more difficult after an outbreak of mixy last year.. I will have a go in the next few weeks..😉

The hardest one of your ( Macnob ) would be a Pollock , not sure if we have got any round here but I daresay we could swap that with a Codling or a large Whiting , 

It would make an interesting thread about how many different species were obtained in a day while out with a gun , I have never gone out of my way to get as many different species as I can in one day as it don't really bother me , but I dare say it would be getting towards double figures .

If I recall there are nine species in this photo taken a couple of years ago on an end of season knockabout day. There was a grey squirrel as well but the corpse didn’t make it into the pic. Pheasants, wood pigeon, collared dove, mallard, rabbit, redleg partridge, jay, grey lag, teal.

Sorry,  but the silly I-pad tells me I can only upload 2.93 somethings and I’m not very ‘computer’ so I can’t show you the pic. It’s just four ugly blokes with a load of dead stuff anyway. If I can find a teenager to help I will post pic another time.

33 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

Interesting to see people’s spin on it. I will be up in Braemar again next year visiting family. I wonder if I could give it a go on the cheap.

I’ve looked at the firms who offer the Mcnab as a package... take trousers with deep pockets!!

15 minutes ago, Tford said:

I’ve looked at the firms who offer the Mcnab as a package... take trousers with deep pockets!!

The family up there know everybody and anybody that are local. The plan was to see if any landowners would let me have a wander about or know somebody that would take me on a stalk. I have shallow shallow pockets.

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

The hardest one of your ( Macnob ) would be a Pollock , not sure if we have got any round here but I daresay we could swap that with a Codling or a large Whiting , 

It would make an interesting thread about how many different species were obtained in a day while out with a gun , I have never gone out of my way to get as many different species as I can in one day as it don't really bother me , but I dare say it would be getting towards double figures .

As you know you would have to get out to deep water wreck to find Pollack down there, Whiting would be a dead cert though. For me the idea of being able to harvest food [and just to be there] is my reason for shooting and fishing 

3 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

The family up there know everybody and anybody that are local. The plan was to see if any landowners would let me have a wander about or know somebody that would take me on a stalk. I have shallow shallow pockets.

If like me, that combines with short short arms!! 😁

On 24/10/2019 at 19:39, islandgun said:

I have occasionally achieved a mcnob .. i.e caught a pollack in the morning, stalked a rabbit in the afternoon, and knocked down a greylag in the evening flight

I like that one!

I might steal that idea and modify it a bit - not too many geese where I am. A duck, woodcock and pollock. Hmmm