Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
oowee

quantum computing

Recommended Posts

Its another world :w00t:

Google says an advanced computer has achieved "quantum supremacy" for the first time, surpassing the performance of conventional devices.The technology giant's Sycamore quantum processor was able to perform a specific task in 200 seconds that would take the world's best supercomputers 10,000 years to complete.

In classical computers, the unit of information is called a "bit" and can have a value of either 1 or 0. But its equivalent in a quantum system - the qubit (quantum bit) - can be both 1 and 0 at the same time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50154993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those that don't - and then QC came along...

All sounds like a bit of an exaggerated claim to me and the final paragraph in the article aligns with my limited understanding of the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Boolean algebra, where 1 don't necisarily mean 1 and same for 0 a heiriachal system. 

As computers advance it allows even faster advancements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, figgy said:

Sounds like Boolean algebra, where 1 don't necisarily mean 1 and same for 0 a heiriachal system. 

As computers advance it allows even faster advancements.

Took the very words out of my mouth! Was just about to post that! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comes to something when even computers claim to be no binary , is that what the Q means in Qbit ? 🙄

Ill get my coat :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Comes to something when even computers claim to be no binary , is that what the Q means in Qbit ? 🙄

Ill get my coat :lol:

I was just about to use that analogy🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was going to say something really profound and eridte............but i cant be bothered anymore

 

PS....will it mean we get 10.000 times more spam

Edited by ditchman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I was just about to use that analogy🤣

:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will Change computers but years off ending up on your desk or hone. 

not likely more spam but it will mean computers will be able to work out what you had for breakfast and what breakfast you want tomorrow and where to buy it from. 
 

the phone I am typing this on has more computer power memory and storage than the first mainframe I kept going with 3 on a shift 24/7.  It needed 3phase feed a huge room then there was the cooling.

Regards Agriv8 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a simple explanation:

A quantum effect is any consequence of wave-particle duality. In atomic physics both momentum p and energy E of a particle are manifested as a wave having respectively wavelength λ = h/p and period t = h/E (more often written as E = hν where frequency ν is the reciprocal of period t).

All clear now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, oowee said:

In classical computers, the unit of information is called a "bit" and can have a value of either 1 or 0. But its equivalent in a quantum system - the qubit (quantum bit) - can be both 1 and 0 at the same time.

Shrodinger`s qubit then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite plausable in my opinion, the advances in tech in my lifetime are incredible, so no reason to doubt that further incredible advances will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/10/2019 at 18:36, Agriv8 said:

It will Change computers but years off ending up on your desk or hone. 

not likely more spam but it will mean computers will be able to work out what you had for breakfast and what breakfast you want tomorrow and where to buy it from. 
 

the phone I am typing this on has more computer power memory and storage than the first mainframe I kept going with 3 on a shift 24/7.  It needed 3phase feed a huge room then there was the cooling.

Regards Agriv8 

 

got one already that malfunctions..........its called wife#1

not when you aint got a signal

8 hours ago, henry d said:

Shrodinger`s qubit then?

i have shrodiners cat theroy all the time................i dont know wether im comin or goin

 

i have rekindeled my boyhood affair with Patricia Preece

Edited by ditchman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ditchman said:

got one already that malfunctions..........its called wife#1

not when you aint got a signal

i have shrodiners cat theroy all the time................i dont know wether im comin or goin

 

i have rekindeled my boyhood affair with Patricia Preece

Now then dichman yep your right and I am going off to google Patrica Preece.

if you said 35 years ago that we had computers in our pocket that you held in your hand could send letters instantly to the other side of the world  Take pictures and send them. Have a 2 way chat and be able to see each other. Order somthing at 10 at night and it would be delivered tomorrow. you’d have been carted of to the nut house !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Agriv8 said:

Now then dichman yep your right and I am going off to google Patrica Preece.

if you said 35 years ago that we had computers in our pocket that you held in your hand could send letters instantly to the other side of the world  Take pictures and send them. Have a 2 way chat and be able to see each other. Order somthing at 10 at night and it would be delivered tomorrow. you’d have been carted of to the nut house !

 

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

 

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

Ken Olsen, founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977

Edited by Mr_Nobody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...