I hate it when people disappear for no reason so...

Retsdon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this           why leave if you have been there done that a story to tell        young uns these days  rely on e book **** by another muppet who liked a comment by someone who didn't do anything   and never will             a robust discussion on numerous  topics  none related to google findings  is refreshing  an opinion is just that         to be debated        many guys on here  will help you  with advise    or on  personal effort  without £ reward to help you out        I have found all round first class guys  only willing  to help / air an opinion     thankfully only one or two like to shoot others down  being superior scribes        we are working guys don't be hasty      your input could get a rut  thinking outside the box          I like outside the box    

I struggle with reading and wrighting    and I struggle  to make myself understood   in print          don't give up            all round good guys on here  this has taken me while to  re   re reading   lines / make sure spacings between  words and spelt the rihght ray round   thank god for spell check       don't give up 

Edited by Saltings

It was never my intention to come over as some sort of drama queen but really I thought that as I probably wouldn't shoot a living pigeon anymore (or any other bird come to that other than a partridge)  I probably had no place being here. And I wanted to let the PW community know that I hadn't just died or something.

But then the subsequent posts on this thread, and certainly some of the PMs I got (they send email notification) including at least one invitation to shooting if I'm ever in the Uk  convinced me that perhaps I'm among friends.  And that's a hell of an incentive not to go.

So just ignore this thread.....

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

It was never my intention to come over as some sort of drama queen but really I thought that as I probably wouldn't shoot a living pigeon anymore (or any other bird come to that other than a partridge)  I probably had no place being here. And I wanted to let the PW community know that I hadn't just died or something.

But then the subsequent posts on this thread, and certainly some of the PMs I got (they send email notification) including at least one invitation to shooting if I'm ever in the Uk  convinced me that perhaps I'm among friends.  And that's a hell of an incentive not to go.

All perfectly understandable, you were not the first and will not be the last!

4 minutes ago, figgy said:

Had no idea you were in Saudi Retsdon. Do you ever go watch hakwk hunting or running salukis ?

Those are the sports of kings here. I had an adult student once from outside the Uni (when I used to do external programs as overtime) who kept salukis, but he's the only one since I've been here - and he never invited me to go and watch them in action. But perhaps they didn't do much. I think there's a pretty big fakey, show scenario here too.

But we do have packs of genuine wild running dogs that look like salukis that occasionally turn up and sweep through the campus  - not quite sure how they get in but they do. They  just absolutely love the cats (of which we've far too many). And in return I'm pretty fond of them. :)

I often think I'm the only one shooting and posting, with some exceptions. There is nothing new in fishing or shooting we just recycle ideas and memories . I don't care if you have not been shooting in the past few years you have a thing called " Fieldcraft" that is not available on the internet except through this and other forums because of the members involved and knowledge. 

JDog has educated me in horticulture and grammar , Ditchman in various wines and Marshman in the way of the Fens. 

I will continue to post while I shoot and will still be a member when I stop. All I ask is report your outings as ten pigeons in bad conditions is just as good as a hundred on the stubbles , please keep imputing and don't be afraid of the Grammer and Spelling Police. 

Conversation is a wonderful tool use it.

rant over

32 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

I often think I'm the only one shooting and posting, with some exceptions. There is nothing new in fishing...

I disagree, I've learned a lot over the past few years and my fishing has gotten better as a result and I have fished since '69/70.

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

👍🥰

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

There is nothing new in fishing

I have to disagree with this. I used to fish at international competitive level, but then stopped fishing completely in 98. In 2017 I went fishing again - i went to stay for a couple of weeks with my old fishing partner  (who in between times had captained a national fly-fishing team) - and at times I felt like a  novice!

Fifteen foot leaders? 

I have to go to bed now. But I just wanted to say to all the boys who posted on this thread - thank you. Stuck here in the middle of nowhere and away from my family, this little community has become a bit special for me. I always thought i was just tolerated, but judging by some of the posts on here after I thought I should leave, I feel I really belong.

And that's great. Thanks for accepting me.