I hate it when people disappear for no reason so...

Retsdon

..I'm giving the reason.I think this has to be my last post here on Pigeonwatch and the reason is straightforward enough. This morning I was out for my dawn constitutional walk and a packet of feral pigeons came over the wall from the Air Force base next door. They were a perfect shot and in my head I picked which ones I would take and actually mounted an imaginary gun. But then it dawned on me that really, if the imaginary gun had been real, I wouldn't have taken the shot. Whether it's age, or time since I last shot or whatever, I don't have it in me to take a life anymore.

So I suppose I'm here under false pretences. OK, I might have been living overseas, but I've always felt that one of the things I always wanted to revisit at some time was to be sitting in a hide in Britain looking out at a pack of decoys on a barley stubble or a duck pond.  And somehow that entitled me to be here on this forum. But if that's not longer the case, I've no business here.

But I didn't want to just stop posting without saying goodbye. I've really enjoyed the company here and, never mind the politics and **** like that, I've always known that I've been among good people.

So anyway...you all take care.

Cheers,

Gordon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon I can understand why you think you have no business on here but your experience can help.ithers and you can partake in and discussions.

I would like you to stay as I'm sure others would too.  But if you are going goodbye and best of luck in the rest of your life.

22 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

No need to go, just because you don't shoot, loads of people just come on here for the craic. 

I for one would miss your input, even though I disagree with it.. A lot... 😂

You'd be bored if you left, trust me. 

+1 (Apart from the disagreeing bit)👍 sort of….. sometimes…….🥰

Edited by KB1

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I have to say I have disagreed with many posts you have made, but that is life.

You have something to offer and it would be daft not to contribute. I won't beg, but I hope you re-consider.

PS - you were way off the mark about immigration. 🤣

Agree with this.

I've come across quite a few past game-shooters over the years who have reached the point where they no longer want to deny another creature's chance of life in the name of sport, be it reflection after a near-death experience themselves or for some other reason.  For myself I've never got past clays...

Haven`t pulled a trigger in 4 years or more and the number of guns etc is dwindling too, but I still fish and therefore will continue here as there is a country sports section.

You could consider the fact there is an off topic section which is about things other than shooting etc and your thoughts would be welcome there as has been said above.

I know what you mean about the killing.  Although I haven't been for probably six months, I still want to go shooting/ ferreting rabbits, as pest control.  I wouldn't necessarily feel bad about shooting/ dispatching them....but I might feel guilty when I'm sat stroking our two pet ones, one of whom is just now sat on the sofa!  I even had some game / rabbit burgers the other night!

Even if I just shot clays, I'd still go to this forum, as there's so much info and you can get advice on ANYTHING!  

Maybe you've just got a bit of Brexit Burnout, as you have put a lot of effort into your POV's.  

Plus, you're our PW man in Saudi!   Surely, camel racing and public floggings must get boring after a while.  Come back to PW....always something new....always a good debate going on! 

I stopped shooting in 2015 with no intension of picking up a gun ever again.I also felt at the time that leaving the forum was a good idea Bought a MX5 and joined a owner's forum.OMG what a load of nobs!.They where that bad I started to hate my car or being associated with such people.I even debadged the the 5 and re badged it as a Tein. There is not another forum that can come close to this one ever.I just read the motor and this section of the forum.The crack is mint and I'm sitting in a cafe now just browsing over a coffee after a drive around the moors( not in a 5).Great bunch on here, yeh politics sometimes gets in the way but there is nearly always an apology.Dont leave the forum mate, you are too valued and your knowledge and experience can help others.

Edited by Davyo