Sporting clay Grounds recommendations in Cheshire area

TK421

Morning guys, I’m after some advice and recommendations on places to shoot in and around the Cheshire area. Currently shooting catton open practice  on a Wednesday, but would love the option to shoot somewhere else preferably in the week also? Only visited catton 3 times so far and I must say I throughly enjoyed it, I’m still solo shooting so working out why I’m not hitting is another thing, but all it’s about for now is getting gun time. 
ive shot mickley, which is ok, but prefer the layout at catton, people are friendly and helpful,  it’s not too busy which is a bonus for my pride, plus the price is good at £24 for 100 birds. Just wish they did another day open practice  ☹️

at the moment this is a very casual thing as I  still trying to get my eye in, so a good mix of targets would help, happy to travel to a degree if the ground is a nice place. Hodnet has been mentioned also? 

any ideas very much welcomed 

cheers

29 minutes ago, Rifleman22 said:

Check out Mickley Hall, and Owls Hoot??

Owls hoot is currently closed struggling to find clay grounds myself in Cheshire, peak district area 

Owls hoot in warrington closed currently 

Cold springs in buxton closed currenty awaiting a new ground for the shoot 

The little mill in rowarth closed 

Only leaves catton hall , mickley, Holmes chapel shoot & the boar in glossop and the wildboar clough in macclesfield that I know of unless you were to travel further out & try north Wales shooting school in sealand deeside 

When people say Hodnet, I expect they really mean West Midlands Shooting Grounds? https://www.wmsg.co.uk/

I live less than a mile away from WMSG but prefer Mickley for one good reason. They issue shooters with a dongle to plug in and therefore you have no-one standing over you, counting clays. That said, I have had lessons at WMSG and the coaches are very good, as are their facilities which are exceptional. Staff at both locations are friendly in my experience.

Depends exactly where you are in 'North West England'. I too live in NWE and shoot at Catton Hall, NWSS Sealand, Manchester Worsley,  Kelbrook Lodge, nr. Colne. Ribble Bank, and Dolphin. Occasionally have a day out at Coniston Hall, nr. Skipton or the ground on A65 at Lupton, Cumbria. Apart from NWSS at Sealand, who use a token system, the rest are on either Claymate card or box system.

11 minutes ago, Westley said:

Depends exactly where you are in 'North West England'. I too live in NWE and shoot at Catton Hall, NWSS Sealand, Manchester Worsley,  Kelbrook Lodge, nr. Colne. Ribble Bank, and Dolphin. Occasionally have a day out at Coniston Hall, nr. Skipton or the ground on A65 at Lupton, Cumbria. Apart from NWSS at Sealand, who use a token system, the rest are on either Claymate card or box system.

I’m right in the heart of Cheshire, catton takes me 15-20mins to get there. 
am contemplating coniston but looking at 1:45-2hr drive to get there, is it worth the journey?

thanks for your info much appreciated 

Edited by TK421

Yes, Coniston is certainly worth a 'day out' although it is a 'bit of a drive'. ( get there before 1.00pm if you want food though). Manchester is open on a Wednesday and at weekends, BUT it is fibre wads only. NWSS at Sealand has a couple of 'Compak' layouts, skeet, DTL, Ball Trap and Olympic Trench layouts and 2 high towers for driven partridge and high pheasant. There is also an excellent shop which has had some reasonable cartridge deals lately. Add to that a cracking breakfast for a fiver, and it is worth a visit. Downside is the token system, once the token is inserted, you have to shoot 25+ targets, or leave them for the next shooter. If there are 2 of you, you can split the shooting to 12 targets each, for 1 token used. Of course this is not a problem if you are shooting one of the trap or skeet disciplines.

Edited by Westley

1 hour ago, V8 90 said:

Fauxdegla isn’t too far from you - I understand it has a good sporting layout + all the trap disciplines 

Had my very first lesson over at Faux with Mr Clegg. Great day. Bloody cold with rain that went side ways 😳beautifully kept ground though. 

Fauxdegla is a Trap ground, the sporting targets aren't great and in my experience you will get a few stand which will only throw one brid, or are straight into the sun.

The compaq layout is good, and of course all the trap layouts are at there top of the game.

NWSS Sealand now has a 25 bird sportap trap (soon to be 50 bird) which changes weekly on the Olympic trap layout on a Saturday, they are also hosting a 75 Bird FITASC on the 7th Dec. The weekly additional sportrap does have a promatic clay mate system, but currently they have a buttoner every Saturday. They will be rolling out claymate across the ground.

There are also regular regged sortrap comps. 75-100 bird..

You could also have a look at Glossop/Boar grounds.

Edited by Ian E

On 25/10/2019 at 17:51, TK421 said:

Had my very first lesson over at Faux with Mr Clegg. Great day. Bloody cold with rain that went side ways 😳beautifully kept ground though. 

before he hiked it back Yorkshire!!! I had my first experience shooting with Brian 5 years ago at FD - great bloke

On 30/10/2019 at 20:04, Ian E said:

Fauxdegla is a Trap ground, the sporting targets aren't great and in my experience you will get a few stand which will only throw one brid, or are straight into the sun.

The compaq layout is good, and of course all the trap layouts are at there top of the game.

NWSS Sealand now has a 25 bird sportap trap (soon to be 50 bird) which changes weekly on the Olympic trap layout on a Saturday, they are also hosting a 75 Bird FITASC on the 7th Dec. The weekly additional sportrap does have a promatic clay mate system, but currently they have a buttoner every Saturday. They will be rolling out claymate across the ground.

There are also regular regged sortrap comps. 75-100 bird..

You could also have a look at Glossop/Boar grounds.

Don't forget the 100 bird Skeet Ian!!! (16th November / 7th December) as well as 3 skeet layouts (1 dedicated, 1 shared with DTL and 1 with Sport trap birds)

Also, the skeet winter series starts on 28th December (I think) - only costs the clays to enter - get in the points and there is a shoot off at the end for the top 6 for some good prizes. The monthly shoot price is a slab of shells - Sponsored by Eley

there you go - corrected you now Ian :) If you see this before Sunday - Leadbrook is off this weekend - if not enjoy your trip :D