Woodcock sightings ?

Ferret664

We did 6 drives for Pheasant on Saturday in east Kent  and only saw one. Probably a resident as I dont think the migrants have come in yet around here.

He/she flitted off unshot as we have a rule of not shooting them till after 1st December and then only if the Gun wants it for his own consumption.

There lies the question are you a 'Shooter'  or a  'Hat Raiser' ?  

I have to be careful as my wife is a woodcock preservationist and thinks they should not be shot, however if I place a nicely braised woodcock breast meat on her plate she will wuff it down without thought.   Personally I believe if they look like a harvestable number about then no harm in taking a few. We used to have days walking the sides of hills around Builth Wellls many years ago with pointers and might finish with three or four brace for our efforts, great sport.  Thoughts ???

I have shot (more than) my share over the years. I have never made a conscious decision not to shoot any more but I seem to let them go with more regularity these days. It really wouldn’t bother me if I never shot another. What I find annoying is the man who shoots one and then refuses it at the end of the day.

On 01/11/2019 at 17:00, andrewluke said:

send it down my way,he can walk my dog😁

Brilliant!! :lol:  I read that the same way you did! 

We saw at least 5 today on our shoot near Bristol, however we decided not to shoot at any as they are all resident ones we believe.