DEACTIVATION

DUNKS

Hi any one know who in the midlands will deactivate a SXS for me?

Anyone had one done? What were you charged. I do know the proof house charges.

I have had a word with the proof house and know I can do it myself but it's a lot of hassle with two trips to the proof house or postage.

Thanks.

On 25/10/2019 at 21:38, nabbers said:

When I enquired about 3 singles, seems to work out at £90per  barrel including Rfd to the proof house, their charges and back again.

just barrels are the easy bit. With a SXS hammergun it's the locks and trigger unit that's the problem needing two visits to the proof house.

Ive had hold of a few sxs that were deactivated, fella I used to shoot with supplied loads to TV and film industry years ago.

His were all very nicely done, milled out slots in the barrels under the forend. Firing pins gone and the breech faces drilled out to a deep concave.  Didn't think the triggers and locks were done though as I shouldered it and broke it open.  His looked like perfect guns till you opened them up.

Wonder what they do to the locks and triggers because no way could these be ever made to fire.

deactivation

Hi I spoke with the guy at Brum proof house who actually does the inspection. On sidelocks and hammerguns the gun has to be presented with the barrels and breech faces done and the locks taken off and welded up so as cant ever be used. He said attach the locks on a bit of string. He passes this and you get the gun back. You then have to weld the locks in place, welding over the screw heads was OK then he checks it again. 

Edited by DUNKS

Regulation changed in 2016. Still plenty of deactivated sxs hammer guns and side locks for sale with working locks that dry fire. If it had to welded up inside. I'd rather scrap it use the stock to make a lamp or turn the wood into something else.

Must mean something to you to go to the lengths required. There is a company called gunners that can do it all for you.