Dyfed Powys police and Land Clearance

Blacksheep

Out on a farm i have permission to shoot on when the neighbouring farmer asks if i can do a bit for him ?, Great i think so I Just emailed the firearms dept with what i thought was a simple question , " Does a certain farm have Firearms clearance and if it does what calibre ? " (as i do not have an open licence)

I received a phonecall within half an hour asking me if i had permission to shoot there (i do now ) and then telling me i had to submit a full permission form just to find out ! , surely it would make sense to just tell me yes or no and  i can then ask the police to clear it if necessary.

Anybody have experience of this with Dyfed Powys ?

Edited by Blacksheep

On 24/10/2019 at 17:37, oowee said:

If you call in you can get clearance by telephone if the land is currently cleared by checking the national data base (which is carp but all they have). If you e mail you will have to send in a 686 form signed by the farmer. Paper trail rules.

Took your advice and phoned South Wales Firearms instead and they were very helpful , Land already cleared upto .243 on their database so i am good to get on with it .

Cheers

35 minutes ago, Blacksheep said:

Took your advice and phoned South Wales Firearms instead and they were very helpful , Land already cleared upto .243 on their database so i am good to get on with it .

Cheers

:good:Well done. I sent about half a dozen 686 forms in unsigned to ask for clearance they refused as the were not signed. I pointed out that I could have called in requiring no signature and they agreed. I asked them to bin them and I would call in with the details for a phone check. They said they could not do that as they had seen the forms unsigned. 

I got them signed and sent them in then submitted a formal complaint for them to deal with. What a nonsense.