Game pie

Walker570

One or two members asked about what pasrtry I use etc., so as I am making one for the shoot 'Elevensies' tomorrow I thought I would try and put it in words and pictures.  It ain't rocket science.

Plain Flour, lard, water, salt and seasoning and sufficient game meat(various) and some belly pork. An egg for the finish and stick the top on.

Grind all the meat and add seasoning and mix thoroughly. Then the pastry.  It is a hot crust pastry and it is a high speed deal so get everyhting ready to go.

For the pie you are about to see I poured  3/4 pint of water into a saucepan and then cut a 10oz block of lard up into smallish pieces(they melt faster) then I measured put a 250g bag of plain flour in a large bowl and formed a hollow in the middle.  Just a small amount half a cup I kept to one side for when I roll out the top.  Oven on to 70 and put the four in to warm.  Take your tin and line with baking sheet,  first rubbing it with lard to get the lining to stick.  Then put the water and lard on the hob and melt the fat and as soon as it starts to boil, take the flour out of the oven and place the bowl on a towel so it doesn't go cold. Pour the almost boiling liquid into the hollow and using a wooden spatula mix it together finally using hands to get it into a soft even consistency. Careful, as it is still hot so change hands when needed.   Then take about 3/4 of the mixture and form it into a round ball and place this in the centre of the baking tin , then pres down with the palm and flatten it out to the sides. Using a straight sided glass you can then form it slowly back and up the sides getting it nice and even and not too thick, it should just hang over a bit.

Then quickly turn the rest of the mixture out and it helps again to form this into a ball as you want to roll it out into a circle large enough to fit over the pie top with a bit to spare. You can with care roll this onto the rolling pin to transfer to the pie.  DO NOT let it get cold or it will all break up.  Put the meat into the pie and quickly brush some beaten egg around the top edge. Lift the top pastry across and roll it carefull on. Then go round with your thumb and pres the edges together.  There should be a small amount of pastry left and if you wish you can use that to make a pattern/picture on top after giving the whole pie a good coat of beaten egg.  Then trim sides and go round with a fork and finish the edging by presing gently leaving the fork marks which will crisp up when it is cooked.  I used a zester on this one.  Oven at 220 for 30-45 mins and check. If it is browning nicely then cover with tinfoil and back in for as long as it takes for a meat thermometer to reach beef well done  I then take the foil off and give it another 10 - 15 mins which just browns it off nicely and dries the top.

If there is anyhting I seem to have missed just ask.   The real trick is moulding the pastry nice and thin across the bottom and sides.

002.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

024.jpg

Looks very nice, hope they all appreciate the effort you have made for them, I see a packet of pepperoni did you put some in the pie? I also noticed you did not put a slit in the top to allow the steam to come out, is there a reason for that? And last of all do you put gelatin in the mix?

By the way, I think you are supposed to take the Creole mix out of the tub before you mix it with the meat.;)

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Looks very nice, hope they all appreciate the effort you have made for them, I see a packet of pepperoni did you put some in the pie? I also noticed you did not put a slit in the top to allow the steam to come out, is there a reason for that? And last of all do you put gelatin in the mix?

By the way, I think you are supposed to take the Creole mix out of the tub before you mix it with the meat.;)

Yes, saw the pepperoni in Aldi and thought it might just spice it up a bit, first time use, so we will see. That and a goodly shake of Tony's should put a sparkle in it. Never really know how it will turn out as always a different mix of meats.  No I don't put the gelatin in to fill the space around the side. Often the meat fills the space anyway. Never ever much left over, so I must be doing something right. Once the guns have eaten their fill I hand anything left over to the beaters to fight over but on some shoots guns and beaters share elevensies which i prefer.

Edited by Walker570

8 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Morning Nev, how was the wonderful pie received?

After the beaters had cleaned the tin out , not enough left for a mouse.  In the 7 -8 yrs I have been doing these for shoot days, I cannot ever remember taking any home.

Tip, do not cut short on the seasoning, even this one was not as tasty as I would have liked although everyone did remark on the pepporoni but didn't know what it was.

It would be interesting to lay the slices on top of the ground meat next time.

We had a great day and the expected rain did not impose at all.  We had, as always at Melbourne...some great shooting. Birds where a bit damp and we had to really pick the good ones but still managed 108 total.  The day was planned for 100 to 120 and maybe we were a bit too cautious early on.  Pleased it was not today, torrential rain overnight and all morning here and lanes flooded in places I have never seen in 60yrs.

Following on from walker’s game pie and inspired by his efforts  I thought I would have a go at a pork pie using minced pork belly.

It turned out really nice using the ingredients in the picture, I sent for some Creole mix that walker used and added two teaspoons of the mix, as walker says it gives it a bit of a sparkle/kick and is quite peppery, thank you walker for the inspiration and the Creole tip.

pie2.jpg.6ed1dc11a8c83adf673a6b57759322e4.jpg

pie1.jpg.4536c1f1b25323022513a05ebbcc9a98.jpg

Edited by old'un

Super job, can't fault that. Pleased you could get some Tony C's. Next time you do some chips,having cut them and before putting in the fat, just sprinkle some on, it realy does add as you say "a sparkle".  We turn to Tony C's now for almost everything savoury we cook. Marinades as well.  Pheasant breasts sliced 1/4 inch wide and marinated or simply fried in a hot skillet with butter and a shake or two of Tony's.   Have not tried it on ice cream yet as my friend in Louisiana suggests folks out there are likely to do.:lol: