Elevensies

Walker570

Find that shooting parties tend to vary between 8 and 10 guns. Now I have a nine space glass holder for drawing pegs and Elevensies but I didn't have a ten gun model.  That very generous member team Tractor kindly gave me access to his offcuts box and I have made the lower part of what will eventually be an all enveloping box for 10 glasses.   On route to collect this wood I called at Morrisons and they had some excellent glasses at 60p each.   Set to with the pieces of oak which where about to go in the fire bin and made the base unit which considering I am no carpenter turned out not too bad. Glued some 17 Rem cartridge heads in to hide the screws:whistling:  Made some sections inside to keep the glasses separated and lined the inside with some pieces of Nilgai hide I had lying about.

Gave the whole thing a coat of boiled linseed oil.

Then to the glasses. They needed to have numbers on the bottom and whilst I had the engraver out I engraved a pheasant in flight on each glass. It all turned out pretty good.

Nathan has kindly supplied enough offcuts of oak to make a top cover to go over the glasses when being transported. I have ad to pin and glue some together to be deep enough and  more work to do on that yet BUT the lower half will have an outing tomorrow at Melbourne Hall, rain or shine ..............more rain than shine from what I read.

Walnut harvest in the background. Only 1000 this year not 3000 plus like last year.

026.jpg

Nice to get a good crop of walnuts as you canshare with friends.  We use them a lot in and on pies and crumbles and also in mixed salads as in a starter.  Everyone agrees these are some of the tastiest they have eaten but there again most of what are bought come all the way from California.

Engraving glasses is pretty easy realy if you have a steady hand.  Fairly high speed on the engraver and a fine diamond tip.  Just draw or use a photo and stick this inside the glass, then just follow it with the engraver.  Cheating I know but produces a really nice finish.

Update on the 'elevensies' glass carrier.  I got the top almost finished now ans intended to put a design on the side and then get melb's wife Linda to do her magic with the pyrograhy thingy.

However I sketched out and idea on the side and decided to just varnish over it.  A couple of photos before and after a coat of varnish.  I'm now toying with putting a woodcock on one end and maybe a duck on the other.  Watch this space.

007.jpg

009.jpg