Nice one Charlie & co! (again)!

NatureBoy

Great interesting piece again in this weeks episode of Fieldsports Britian!  Covering a lot of topics that could be expanded on! Need to get it out to a wider audience/the public what we have known about the RSPB etc for a long time. They are loosing members.

Shame any of them don't want to work with people with real knowledge that know what they are doing!

No mention of the sea eagles failing on IOW in the media! Strange that!

How do they manage to check daily 20,000 traps on Orkney?  7 miillion for what! There expertise! Joke! Friends were there in summer found traps randomly placed all over the place,

Have always said it strange/convenient how and where they find so many alleged incidences of wrong doing when it suits them. Packhams gate/life threats, dead harriers/traps missing eagles etc. would think  be happening/finding stuff weekly the way they bang on. Surly police must think that to, as they have been known to tamper with evidence.

Amusing/petty that they are demanding an apology from NE/DEFRA after what they have been saying about and calling us!

Well done the Harrowgate protesters!!!            NB

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

check 20.000 traps ?...who, when, why,, we had thousands of traps in our Mink project, but we only opened traps on a line we could walk around every day, new traps were opened every week and all traps were marked by GPS 

They got 7million quid for stoat eradication project on Orkney. Using 20,000 traps.but only have 30 staff on Orkney.  NB

8 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

They got 7million quid for stoat eradication project on Orkney. Using 20,000 traps.but only have 30 staff on Orkney.  NB

Is that SNH? we had a similar number of traps here to eradicate Mink, each dug in and marked by GPS, [also covered the off shore islands] that was with a lot less than 30 staff. it worked very well and cost millions !.. the ground nesting birds are making a comeback .. the project was also part funded by RSPB and Europe. when i started the original funding was by DEFRA. Im sure the Orkney project is run on the same lines

https://www.nature.scot/professional-advice/land-and-sea-management/managing-wildlife/hebridean-mink-project

6 hours ago, islandgun said:

Is that SNH? we had a similar number of traps here to eradicate Mink, each dug in and marked by GPS, [also covered the off shore islands] that was with a lot less than 30 staff. it worked very well and cost millions !.. the ground nesting birds are making a comeback .. the project was also part funded by RSPB and Europe. when i started the original funding was by DEFRA. Im sure the Orkney project is run on the same lines

https://www.nature.scot/professional-advice/land-and-sea-management/managing-wildlife/hebridean-mink-project

Yes.Them in partnership with RSPB, Orkney Island Council etc. But they getting funding from NLF and Eulife. Clip on FSC explains it better IG. Saying real problem caused by to many geese  knocking back pasture causing them to have to bring in fodder and the stoats coming in with it. Did they take advise from or ask you guys with the experience  to get involved!

Mink project an interesting read. thanks for putting  link up. Any idea of numbers eradicated so far? You must all be rich and wearing furs.😉 Hope it works for the stoats! Do you think it will be harder to do? 250sq km. It just seems a lot of money? Would they be using farmers, keepers countrymen or bringing more controllers in?   NB

1 hour ago, NatureBoy said:

Yes.Them in partnership with RSPB, Orkney Island Council etc. But they getting funding from NLF and Eulife. Clip on FSC explains it better IG. Saying real problem caused by to many geese  knocking back pasture causing them to have to bring in fodder and the stoats coming in with it. Did they take advise from or ask you guys with the experience  to get involved!

Mink project an interesting read. thanks for putting  link up. Any idea of numbers eradicated so far? You must all be rich and wearing furs.😉 Hope it works for the stoats! Do you think it will be harder to do? 250sq km. It just seems a lot of money? Would they be using farmers, keepers countrymen or bringing more controllers in?   NB

The Outer Hebrides is about 3000 sq km ? so yes it is doable, we had approx 10 trappers for about 10yrs  [Lewis and Harris] and one or two are still checking traps now, since the second part began we trapped about 2500 mink, Originally and in some areas I was able to kill 3 per day, in later years it was down  to 3 a year for the whole project, all the dead animals went of for dissection to York.  yes,  ex keepers, countrymen and noticeably ex badger cull men from England did the footwork whilst scientists did the err brainwork..😉 

Edited by islandgun

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 19:31, London Best said:

Err, point of order. Pedantic if you like, but we don’t have square kilometres in this country. You mean square miles. The BBC has started this trend and it is just wrong.

Rant over, nothing personal.

Someone better let those chaps at Ordnance Survey know.

They have been using sq.k for years. 

Well things are getting polarised now, according to the Telegraph, the RSPB have now “come out” and declared their opposition to game bird shooting! Now rather than just suspecting past a covert anti shooting agenda by the RSPB, whilst at the same time stating they were not anti-shooting!.......Shooting is now beginning to find out who their real enemies are!

10 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Well things are getting polarised now, according to the Telegraph, the RSPB have now “come out” and declared their opposition to game bird shooting! Now rather than just suspecting past a covert anti shooting agenda by the RSPB, whilst at the same time stating they were not anti-shooting!.......Shooting is now beginning to find out who their real enemies are!

Cheers..So it looks like they will have to be be very selective about what needs protecting and what needs to be removed [see the above about RSPB mink funding] in other words anti game shooting at the moment, anti shooting later, but not if it means protecting a valued bird..   

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/27/rspb-expected-announce-opposition-game-bird-shooting-faces-backlash/

34 minutes ago, Lord v said:

Someone better let those chaps at Ordnance Survey know.

They have been using sq.k for years. 

yes it seems OS started metrification in 1936, along with the rest of the UK in the 60's including Admiralty charts and weather [amongst others]...😉

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

And how many people know or care how many litres per hundred kilometres their car returns? Or how many kilometres it is to London?

People who design roads. 

You can get as grumpy about this and rant as much as you like - sq.k is a perfectly valid (and correct) measurement to use - It definitely isn't a 'modern thing' (well depends on your view whether the 40's are modern or not) and wasn't instigated by the BBC....

52 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Yep! There AGM was Saturday! Hypercrits! Been coming for years tho! We have been ignoring it! Avery's loving it!Saying he thinks shooting folk will be joining RSPB to affect policy! Really? Then they wonder why shooting orgs and farmers don't trust em! They happy to used data from ringing ,RBAP trials, and sat tag red listers on farms and shoots that are doing the real conservation and trying to find a way forward tho! Don't see that in there reports! None of it would be possible without shoots and pest/predator control! Just this year locally the growing numbers of turtle doves, english partridges and other farmland birds even with there meddling has proven that! And they know it!  Reluctant to engage on it! Dosn't fit with there agenda! They want control! They want the funding that goes with it! They want the MONEY! 

I think we have got a lot more to worry about than footage of  Peter Carr waving up a few birds or a odd camera angle on Dave Carrie shooting!

Many don't seem bothered! Think DEFRA are on our side and our orgs have got this! I hope they right!!!!!        NB

14 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Yep! There AGM was Saturday! Hypercrits! Been coming for years tho! We have been ignoring it! Avery's loving it!Saying he thinks shooting folk will be joining RSPB to affect policy! Really? Then they wonder why shooting orgs and farmers don't trust em! They happy to used data from ringing ,RBAP trials, and sat tag red listers on farms and shoots that are doing the real conservation and trying to find a way forward tho! Don't see that in there reports! None of it would be possible without shoots and pest/predator control! Just this year locally the growing numbers of turtle doves, english partridges and other farmland birds even with there meddling has proven that! And they know it!  Reluctant to engage on it! Dosn't fit with there agenda! They want control! They want the funding that goes with it! They want the MONEY! 

I think we have got a lot more to worry about than footage of  Peter Carr waving up a few birds or a odd camera angle on Dave Carrie shooting!

Many don't seem bothered! Think DEFRA are on our side and our orgs have got this! I hope they right!!!!!        NB

I think the RSPB/WJ and other protectionist organisations have got EN and NRW jumping to their tune!......dunno about DEFRA....we’ll soon see though!!! 

I agree though, it’s a control and money issue....the protectionists want the power of control over “conservation” (their idea of!) issues in the UK, because that’s where the money lies!

Looks very much like WJ and rspb will get their own way eventually, they have all the support they need, crowd funding and joe public that couldnt care less but would support whatever their told if they think they will save the world

Edited by islandgun

29 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Looks very much like WJ and rspb will get their own way eventually, they have all the support they need, crowd funding and joe public that couldnt care less but would support whatever their told if they think they will save the world

You can guarantee an increase in membership once they start pushing a link between shooting and climate change. I sincerely hope our organisations are wise to this, and prepared. 😂🤣

19 hours ago, islandgun said:

I hope not IG! They have stired up a  lot in just the year they been going with just 80k of funding? Still wonder if there's Someone else behind/funding them and lets not forget Bojo's gal on there side. I remember  peps laughing dismissing them when they launched  last year and said GL would be there first target! They haven't done shooting and certainly not conservation any good! Just causing more division between all the the orgs and us which i think is what they want. They a slick devisive lot with sharp legal team! But like a lot of would be players at the mo they have no answers or a positive way forward! 

I find it strange WJ/ Avery are so quick to dismiss/judge/criticise other orgs CRT SBS etc and farmers who are and can be seen doing practical conservation and making a real difference!? Robin Page still calls them out on whether they tried to infiltrate CRT!?  . . .  We can't be the only ones who find it strange the way the seem to find some very convenient evidence of alleged wrong doing around there targeted campaigns!  As i have pointed out to folk a lot of birds of prey die naturally in the first year just like other birds and thats with out the stress of being fitted with a sat tag. 

Good on Fieldsports  Britain  and The Gun Shop for  what they have done to get word out there! We can all do our bit tho. A lot of the public /birders/ conservationist ant a stupid ignorant, fluffy anti lot! They don't like being told what to do/think by Packham and co!  If you give them the facts a lot are supportive of both shooting and conservation. As i have said before! It's up to us to start that conversation and educate them!  I started years ago when i gave up my membership of RSPB! Had been a member and YOC since i was a boy! Support is out there if we give, tell, show people the facts! It's not hard! And it works! . . . Stood chat'n to a family new to the country at weekend. Gun over arm and blood on my hands. Gave them pigeon breasts and mushrooms to try. Kids were amazed watching me brest the pigeons and looking at the magpie i shot! Some may not agree with us, but they not against us! We got nothing to hide! No Agenda!  Rant over!😉    NB

NB.. I make a living supplying a dissociated public with wild and home grown food. they approve of and are happy that, the Rabbit they are eating was an agricultural pest and is free range and organic.. this is the side that should be peddled in my view, get it on the shelves and on menus it is the opposite to factory farming which some are blaming for our next mass extinction..😉

6 hours ago, islandgun said:

NB.. I make a living supplying a dissociated public with wild and home grown food. they approve of and are happy that, the Rabbit they are eating was an agricultural pest and is free range and organic.. this is the side that should be peddled in my view, get it on the shelves and on menus it is the opposite to factory farming which some are blaming for our next mass extinction..😉

I totally agree IG! Only i give or barter mine to folk! Never have any trouble getting rid of anything. Even the squirrels. Falconer and taxidermist takes crows. Others have the squirrel, fox tails and feathers for fly tying and hat making etc. schools artists, photographers and film makers have/borrow skulls, bones, antler, skins and a very old egg collection i have. Took some fresh shot still warm rabbits to a gal once and she paunched skinned and preped them with her young kids there and then in her kitchen like a science lesson. Liver heart and kidneys straight in the pan. They cured the skins as an experiment to. Always tell her i wished we had filmed it. Would never be able to recreate there sense of wonder.

Shame Avery enjoying getting the boot in regarding lead and Waitrose's new labelling warning of lead on there game products. Always thought he more trouble than Packham!

Least we have got the new series of Autumnwatch to look forward to tonight. Not.    NB